RI & Aldabras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. CA
Hello (hopefully AldabraMan),
I wanted to inquire, what are the signs that you should watch for with an Aldabra for any respiratory issues. I have been a keeper of sulcatas (they keep me) for years now and want to know if there is anything different to watch for. Is it okay if they have a clear wet nose but worry if it is cloudy and viscous? Or wet at all is not good? Breathing is totally clear but damp clear nose, is that okay? We have a new kid in the family - she is apx. 110 to 120 pounds and traveled a LOT by car to get here (many days). She must have experienced stress in her travels, but before we drag her out again to the reptile vet I thought I would ask your opinion. She is eating well - a little picky about pushing the grasses away but we are working on that. Her overnight house is kept within a few degrees of 70 at all times give or take. We are experiencing cooler damp weather for a few days - Southern California.
Thank you,
:tort:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortoiselady said:
I wanted to inquire, what are the signs that you should watch for with an Aldabra for any respiratory issues.

* According to our main tortoise vet (Dr. Doug Mader), it is perfectly normal for aldabras to have a clear wet nose. We have see some of ours have wet eyes and wet nostrils when the humidity is low. In my experience if the nasal discharge is colored or thickened it could be an indicator of infection. One of the first indicators of illness or infection for an aldabra has been loss of appetite and the hind legs go weak.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortoiselady said:
I wanted to inquire, what are the signs that you should watch for with an Aldabra for any respiratory issues.

* According to our main tortoise vet (Dr. Doug Mader), it is perfectly normal for aldabras to have a clear wet nose. We have see some of ours have wet eyes and wet nostrils when the humidity is low. In my experience if the nasal discharge is colored or thickened it could be an indicator of infection. One of the first indicators of illness or infection for an aldabra has been loss of appetite and the hind legs go weak.
Thank you! It is clear and very thin with very clear breathing and a great appetite. I was just worried our little girl was a little too stressed from her travels. I will still keep an eye on her but I won't rush her off in the car again just yet. We got the humidity up in her night time house too. Again, thank you for your insight. :tort::)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortoiselady said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
tortoiselady said:

Thank you! It is clear and very thin with very clear breathing and a great appetite. I was just worried our little girl was a little too stressed from her travels. I will still keep an eye on her but I won't rush her off in the car again just yet. We got the humidity up in her night time house too. Again, thank you for your insight.

* My pleasure, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any further questions or concerns.

* I searched all of my archive of pictures and could not find a single one showing the symptoms relating to a respiratory infection.

* For sure try and keep her warm (mid-high 80's) at night and hydrated!

1zteo4.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is a couple in Southern California who has galops and aldabrans. They took in the large tortoises from Casa de Tortuga when it closed, and they already had some of their own. I think they also have Michael Jackson's aldabran tortoise. If my memory is not failing me, I believe her name is Sharon, and she's a member of the Orange County Chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise club. Their email is:

[email protected]

They might be able to help you with a vet close to where you are, and I'm sure it would be nice to be able for you to visit with someone in your area who keeps these large beasts. Sharon is a member here, but she's hardly ever on.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
emysemys said:
There is a couple in Southern California who has galops and aldabrans. They took in the large tortoises from Casa de Tortuga when it closed, and they already had some of their own. I think they also have Michael Jackson's aldabran tortoise. If my memory is not failing me, I believe her name is Sharon, and she's a member of the Orange County Chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise club. Their email is:

[email protected]

They might be able to help you with a vet close to where you are, and I'm sure it would be nice to be able for you to visit with someone in your area who keeps these large beasts. Sharon is a member here, but she's hardly ever on.

Yes, they are my friends and they helped me find my new girl. Sharon happens to be out of town for a few days and I was panicking - new Mom issues. I am happy that AldabraMan let me know to raise her temps too. I was afraid to cook her but we did get her humidity up already which should help. I am so happy I could get help from this group whiles Sharon is out of town. “Tinker Bell” came from Utah to Vegas, from Vegas to San Diego, from San Diego to the Santa Clarita Valley area all by car with in a week.

Tinker Bell is just so wonderful and tame, but I can't manage to get her to talk to me - LOL. :tort:

Attachments

• Aldabra Photos.JPG
    Aldabra Photos.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 91

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
RE: RI & Aldabras?

Wow! My tortoise is also called Tinkerbell :) except a lot smaller as he is a horsfield

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
RE: RI & Aldabras?

tinkerbell1189 said:
Wow! My tortoise is also called Tinkerbell :) except a lot smaller as he is a horsfield

We found it commical how opposite she is from the character Tinker Bell and it stuck. My husband said it by accident referring to a female rescue sulcata that he can never remember her name - she is very dingy. It just clicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.