RHP

Opuntia

Location (City and/or State)
uk
Hi.
Can I replace basking flood bulb for a RHP as a basking spot?
I also have T5UV and a LED BAR.☺

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
IMO, a Basking area should have light so that the tortoise understands where to go. Depending on your setup, the RHP would heat up too much of the area to too high of a temp and without any of the light. I dont recommend it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my UNscientific take on the subject:

I have a clutch of russian babies in a Vision enclosure. The enclosure has a UVB strip light, a radiant heat panel and an LED fixture all mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure. The overall temperature in the enclosure is 80-85°F day and night. The heat coming off the strip light is negligible, however, the babies all line up in the same orientation as the strip light, under that light, and the LED is brighter,but they choose to sit under the UVB strip light. This tells me that the babies sense the UVB.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Here's my UNscientific take on the subject:

I have a clutch of russian babies in a Vision enclosure. The enclosure has a UVB strip light, a radiant heat panel and an LED fixture all mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure. The overall temperature in the enclosure is 80-85°F day and night. The heat coming off the strip light is negligible, however, the babies all line up in the same orientation as the strip light, under that light, and the LED is brighter,but they choose to sit under the UVB strip light. This tells me that the babies sense the UVB.
I am even LESS scientific than @Yvonne G, but my full grown Russian does the same thing. During the summer when he is outside a great deal, he had no use for his UVB strip. However, recently since spending less time outside because of the Connecticut fall weather, I see him hanging out under his UVB tube. I suspect they know something…?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi.
Can I replace basking flood bulb for a RHP as a basking spot?
I also have T5UV and a LED BAR.☺
No. RHPs are for ambient temperature maintenance. The heat is far too spread out for basking. The UV and LED perform other functions. Basking is to simulate sunshine. Warmth and heat from the same source.