RFT really need help with eye problem, and diet problems

sinutnoved

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Thanka for sharing the information, this is really helpful for me. I have the temperature gun, I usually test the air temp without the red point, and use the red point to test my RFT body temperature. The air is about 87F which I sit for 88-86, the body temperature is usually 85-88F. I keep the substrate dry, and on other side there is humidifier working to keep the whole tank humidity above 70%. I do not know how to get him to eat except the fruits, when I place fruits like mango, papaya he eat a lot, but when I place green leaf he only eat little, and the pellets, animals protein he doesn’t eat at all. I’m still try to get him to eat except fruit, I tried mix them, but still not change.
Again, thanks for you sharing your information.
When I got my very first redfoot it would only eat fruits as well. I blended a small amount of fruit with a little water to make a dressing. Then I drizzled it over his greens; for a few months this was the only way I offered fruit to him. Now days all my tortoises regularly turn down fruit for greens. Maybe thay would help.

Klaus’s reptiles

California
When I got my very first redfoot it would only eat fruits as well. I blended a small amount of fruit with a little water to make a dressing. Then I drizzled it over his greens; for a few months this was the only way I offered fruit to him. Now days all my tortoises regularly turn down fruit for greens. Maybe thay would help.
I think this would help, I will now provide food with fruit in there, in order get him to eat. Otherwise he will keep lose his weight, that's what I do not want him to do. Thanks for sharing, that gives me more confidence.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You can take whatever food he won't eat and chop it up fine. Then mix it together with a little food that he will eat.

daniellenc

Maryland
His food dish isn't low enough for him to crawl into. Tortoises are grazers and eat little bits on and off throughout the day. Use a flat dish so he can eat when he wants instead of putting him in a bowl to eat. It's stressful for him, and isn't allowing him to eat when he wants.

Klaus’s reptiles

California
Recently update
This is the 48th day I got my baby RFT.
I think I did all I could for him now, temperature in said the chamber is always around 85F, the humidity is always above 60% at least. Had a tube UVB light for 10 hours per day, sometime I take him out for sunshine when he is eating.
Currently, he has become better eating, and poo-poo than before, but I do not know if this is right, he still seems like not active. I don't usually watch him eating, but I will see the size of the poo to know how much he eats. I usually soak 30 minutes before eating and place enough food in his dish and go to class, when I comeback to home he is always in the corner where has less light.
My question is that the light I providing now is still inappropriate? Or for baby RFT is just like this, sleep after eat. His eyes were fine when I soak him for 10 minutes he will open and I take close look there are nothing else on his eyes is black and shining.
Just want hear some advice or confirm from you guys. Here are some pictures for my set up now and how does he eat now.( The food in the eating picture is mix tortoise food soaked with warm water) I bought on amazon.
Thank you!
@ZEROPILOT

123.jpg 23.jpg 25.jpg 24.jpg 26.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What I am seeing is too many containers with tall edges. The tortoise needs these things:

1) Flat, rough tiles or flat stones to eat his food on. Not dishes or bowls.
2) A large, shallow water pool sunk down into the substrate so he can get in and out without a problem (like tipping over on to his back).
3) Day and night cycles (circadian rhythm). He needs darkness at night, but also to be warm enough.
4) At least two more hide boxes in different areas of the enclosure.

He's beautiful, and thank you for coming here for our suggestions!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Recently update
This is the 48th day I got my baby RFT.
I think I did all I could for him now, temperature in said the chamber is always around 85F, the humidity is always above 60% at least. Had a tube UVB light for 10 hours per day, sometime I take him out for sunshine when he is eating.
Currently, he has become better eating, and poo-poo than before, but I do not know if this is right, he still seems like not active. I don't usually watch him eating, but I will see the size of the poo to know how much he eats. I usually soak 30 minutes before eating and place enough food in his dish and go to class, when I comeback to home he is always in the corner where has less light.
My question is that the light I providing now is still inappropriate? Or for baby RFT is just like this, sleep after eat. His eyes were fine when I soak him for 10 minutes he will open and I take close look there are nothing else on his eyes is black and shining.
Just want hear some advice or confirm from you guys. Here are some pictures for my set up now and how does he eat now.( The food in the eating picture is mix tortoise food soaked with warm water) I bought on amazon.
Thank you!
@ZEROPILOT
I'm glad I was able to help a bit.
As @TammyJ has pointed out, there are still a few small issues.
However, it is perfectly normal for baby tortoises to want to hide and sleep most of the day.
A small "house" to sleep in would be a nice touch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and more moisture on the substrate.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Looks good! Loving the cage and setup. If you want to boost the humidity a little more plant your plants in clay pots. When you water the plants soak them in a bowl to water them from the bottom. It will encourage downward root growth and the clay pots will give off a lot of moisture. I go in the 99% humidity realm after watering.

Klaus’s reptiles

California
What I am seeing is too many containers with tall edges. The tortoise needs these things:

1) Flat, rough tiles or flat stones to eat his food on. Not dishes or bowls.
2) A large, shallow water pool sunk down into the substrate so he can get in and out without a problem (like tipping over on to his back).
3) Day and night cycles (circadian rhythm). He needs darkness at night, but also to be warm enough.
4) At least two more hide boxes in different areas of the enclosure.

He's beautiful, and thank you for coming here for our suggestions!
Thank you for your kindly suggestions, I will be working on more hide area and provide shallow water pool as soon as possible, and also provide a flat stone for him to eat.

Klaus’s reptiles

California
New update

This is the 62 days I keep my RFT baby, he is still not eating much and slept all the time. My set up is a UVB tube light, ceramic heat light, multiple hides, water dish, flat eating area, humidity 60% all time.

The UVB light I use is in the previous posted, I open the light from 8am -6pm. The temperature is around 84-88F, and I lightly spray the substrate everyday. I soak him everyday at least minutes 90-95F warm water before eating. I usually provide his food with fruit(mango,kiwi), leaf(spring mix), and some animal protein(low fat cat food) or tortoise pellets(ZooMed or Mazuri) with lightly mix. Also sometime with Meal Tortoise Food Variety Pack I bought on Amazon.

I don't place him out side with Sunlight often because I usually get back home afternoon, but in my back yard the Sunlight is already go away. Usually I feed everyday around 3pm, sometime 5pm. If I see him does not eat at all, I will provide second eating at night around 9 or 10 make sure he eat some(I do not know this is good or bad). Is there might be the issue he is feel alone? Should I get more baby RFT, so they can eating together?

I'm very worried about him because I can felt he is sick, but I do not know how to cure him. Also, he had some fungi skin on his eyes I found out today, and a white membrane on one side of his eyes. Is this some kind of eye issue, what should I do to cure him? I tried with the Vet around my area, is just waste time and money did not help at all! If anyone have any advice to make him better please let me know. Thank you so much. Here are some pictures for my enclosure now.
@ZEROPILOT @Yvonne G @TammyJ Need some help from you guys! Thank you!

Attachments

• 微信图片_20191011225214.jpg
    微信图片_20191011225214.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 微信图片_20191011225223.jpg
    微信图片_20191011225223.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 微信图片_20191011225228.jpg
    微信图片_20191011225228.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 微信图片_20191011225240.jpg
    微信图片_20191011225240.jpg