RF hatching carapace problem?

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I’ve had three RFs hatch out in the last couple of days. The third one hatched out yesterday morning. The yolk sac was so big he would tip over onto his face. ? I know this is normal. I had him on damp paper towel with damp paper towel loosely over him with a breathable cover. I noticed last night that his yolk sac is pushed down a bit but still attached and hopefully absorbing and his scoots in that area are sort of gray. Is that normal or is there a problem with too much humidity? I didn’t notice this issue on the other two but they’re yolks absorbed and were flat within 12 or so hours. I have attached a picture of him top and bottom. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

The first picture is right after it hatched and the other two are from this morning, approximately 24 hours later.

Attachments

• 6CBD6480-E71F-4632-9785-24F989BADCC3.jpeg
    6CBD6480-E71F-4632-9785-24F989BADCC3.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 9FB0D9AB-81CE-4215-AEF1-C44727F12540.jpeg
    9FB0D9AB-81CE-4215-AEF1-C44727F12540.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 2F47C00A-21A7-4FDF-98EB-8BF78781BC2F.jpeg
    2F47C00A-21A7-4FDF-98EB-8BF78781BC2F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sometimes just the action or vibration of another egg hatching can make others hatch simultaneously. Maybe a bit prematurely.
Try not to puncture the yolk. But it may still rupture.
Either way, I'll bet he ends up fine.

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
Sometimes just the action or vibration of another egg hatching can make others hatch simultaneously. Maybe a bit prematurely.
Try not to puncture the yolk. But it may still rupture.
Either way, I'll bet he ends up fine.
Thanks for the info. Now that it has been a couple of days the yolk sac has absorbed quite a bit and looks more normal. My biggest concern was that the scoots along the top edge were gray and I wasn’t sure if that was normal but it now looks like a regular hatchling. The yolk sac has stayed intact. Of the four hatchlings I have the youngest tortoise is the only one that’s not yet eating. I’m sure in the next day or so it will start eating.

It’s amazing that Zip has been gone for this long and Indy is still producing his offspring.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the info. Now that it has been a couple of days the yolk sac has absorbed quite a bit and looks more normal. My biggest concern was that the scoots along the top edge were gray and I wasn’t sure if that was normal but it now looks like a regular hatchling. The yolk sac has stayed intact. Of the four hatchlings I have the youngest tortoise is the only one that’s not yet eating. I’m sure in the next day or so it will start eating.

It’s amazing that Zip has been gone for this long and Indy is still producing his offspring.
From what I understand, fertile eggs can continue for a year.