RF Foaming at the Mouth

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, I noticed yesterday when I took all 3 of my red foot tortoises to the fields for roaming at around 11am-noon I saw 2 of the younger torts forming at the mouth like bubbles but not the older one of possible 2 year old. It was only approximately 28-30 degrees celsius in April not yet full blown summer weather, this had occurred once or twice before with my yearling but at slightly higher temperatures in summer. there were trees & shaded areas there & not under constant sunlight as passing clouds often shielded the field. They were soaked prior to taken out as on all occasions, can they tend to dehydrate when moving about too often?

Attachments

• DSC_2059.JPG
    DSC_2059.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_2085.JPG
    DSC_2085.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
the ambient temps are 80’s but under the sun is a lot hotter... definitely sounds like heatstroke

willee638

HK
Thanks for the information, I didn't know tortoises might get heatstroke too. But I observed this in a relatively short time of 20 minutes after they were on the fields, they appeared to be less active at this point & slowly began to walk towards me. there's no water source nearby & the tortoises usually will seek shades quickly after being in the sun for short periods of time like several minutes.