Reverse Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Remember my Aldabra? my Aldabra were pyramiding, said by many people here on this forum.

Then, everybody told me to raise the humidity and keep it hydrated, yes I did, I followed all your advice, now my Aldabra is having Reverse Pyramiding :(

What should I do? My Aldabra is having both pyramids(old) and reverse pyramids(new).

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have only had one animal exhibit this. In my case, a little Burmese Brown. His environment is moist and he gets plenty of varied foods that mainly consist of greens, insects, and Mazuri. My Aldabras do not exhibit this. I have seen speculation on the internet that it could be due to insufficient protein, but this animal consumes as much as or more than several other animals, none of which share the appearance.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Sorry, my camera can't catch the concave that happened on the new growth rings.

It is now that, old growth rings are convex, new growth rings are concave:

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

DSC02842.jpg

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I see nothing to indicate "reverse pyramiding" or any other imaginary ailments.

In fact, the new growth looks pretty nice to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like healthy new growth to me. I see nothing to be concerned about. Looks like you are doing a great job.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Tom said:
That looks like healthy new growth to me. I see nothing to be concerned about. Looks like you are doing a great job.

really? wow, thanks :)

so I won't worry about the concaves?

yagyujubei said:
I see nothing to indicate "reverse pyramiding" or any other imaginary ailments.

In fact, the new growth looks pretty nice to me.

really? thanks. the photos can't show the concaves. :(

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Not seeing what I was posting about in your photos.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Baoh said:

Oh sorry, overlooked your post, :p

what do you mean? you mean it's due to too much protein and moist? thanks. :)

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
All I see is nice smooth new growth...

I see, thank you so much.

it's 6 inch & 600 gram.

do tortoises change scutes when they are older?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Nope, they keep the same scutes. They just keep getting new growth rings around each scute, and if you keep up the good work with the smooth growth coming in once he is bigger those little raised scutes will hardly be noticeable.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Rustyiron said:
Baoh said:

Oh sorry, overlooked your post, :p

what do you mean? you mean it's due to too much protein and moist? thanks. :)

No, that is not what I mean.

I am saying that others have said "reverse pyramiding" (depressed scute areolae relative to the peripheries) is due to too little protein and that I have not observed this to be true. I was also saying that what people have called "reverse pyramiding" is not what I observe in photographs of your animal. Also, since I observe a lack of moisture to not be a factor (as I keep or have kept several animals in identical conditions), I do not know what to make of it.

Maybe it has something to do with mineral deposition, but I am not sure.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Rustyiron said:
No, that is not what I mean.

I am saying that others have said "reverse pyramiding" (depressed scute areolae relative to the peripheries) is due to too little protein and that I have not observed this to be true. I was also saying that what people have called "reverse pyramiding" is not what I observe in photographs of your animal. Also, since I observe a lack of moisture to not be a factor (as I keep or have kept several animals in identical conditions), I do not know what to make of it.

Maybe it has something to do with mineral deposition, but I am not sure.

I see, thanks. :)

SulcataSquirt said:
Nope, they keep the same scutes. They just keep getting new growth rings around each scute, and if you keep up the good work with the smooth growth coming in once he is bigger those little raised scutes will hardly be noticeable.

oh I see, thank you for your advice! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What it looks like to me is that your tort was beginning to pyramid, and with better husbandry you have corrected the problem. What you are seeing is proper new growth. The growth lines should not be "stacked" or convex, because that is exactly what pyramids are. It looks lower than the other growth because it is smooth while the older growth is not.

Pyramiding does not go away. Once a tortoise's shell has grown a particular way, it is that way for life. But by correcting your husbandry, the new growth will be the way it should be. There will always be those little raised areas in the center of the scutes, but because your tortoise is so small now, if you keep doing things correctly, in a few years when your tortoise is bigger it will hardly be noticeable.

Nothing to worry about. Continue what you are doing.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
What it looks like to me is that your tort was beginning to pyramid, and with better husbandry you have corrected the problem. What you are seeing is proper new growth. The growth lines should not be "stacked" or convex, because that is exactly what pyramids are. It looks lower than the other growth because it is smooth while the older growth is not.

Pyramiding does not go away. Once a tortoise's shell has grown a particular way, it is that way for life. But by correcting your husbandry, the new growth will be the way it should be. There will always be those little raised areas in the center of the scutes, but because your tortoise is so small now, if you keep doing things correctly, in a few years when your tortoise is bigger it will hardly be noticeable.

Nothing to worry about. Continue what you are doing.

Thank you for your advice, I understand now, will do. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.