Return to wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebtort

5 Year Member
What are your views on returning Greek torts to the wild? They catch Greek hatchlings locally here in Lebanon and sell them in pet stores. They end up living a short life in the hands of clueless owners.

Hypothetically, what if one was to buy tortoises ($7 each) and release them back into their native environment. I understand the issues of diseases and such but at the same time these hatchlings would have only been in captivity for less than a year. There currently aren't any laws protecting tortoises locally.

What are your views on this?[/align]

zman7590

5 Year Member
I say if youwanted to let them go you should be able to. i know lots of people that have painted turts and release them when they get older and they live just fine...believe this story or not but a buddy of mine had a paint with a deformed shell for years, had to move to a place where he didnt have room for it, let it go in the local pond, 4 YEARS LATER (i was with) poking around the pond, saw the paint, and it let him catch it.... crazy i know but true as oxygen in the air! i will try to find the pictures we took. i will post them if he still has em!!!!

Vickie

5 Year Member
You know honestly I am not sure. However, had to comment on $7 per tortoise! Wow its unbelievable the price difference of ones locally and ones here in the states. Here they are typically over $100! Just amazing.

Lebtort

5 Year Member
The price is definitely crazy low and I hope it stays that way. If the prices were to increase, the vendors would get greedy and more of the tortoises would be taken from their natural habitat. :(

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There is a valid concern about releasing any tortoise back into the wild. Especially one coming from a pet shop or reptile vendor where they could have possibly been exposed to foreign bacteria and viruses. A tortoise that has been in captivity with other species, whether in actual physical contact or not, has the potential of contracting diseases from other species. This tortoise and others of it's species may not have immunities to different forms of bacteria and viruses that come from animals from other regions of the world and vice versa. Captive born tortoises should never be simply released into the wild. In situations where species are raised in captivity with the intent to be released into the wild to increase populations by professionals (researchers & scientist) the animals are raised and kept with the care to not be exposed to other foreign animals and their possible diseases for fear of spreading those diseases to wild populations. In other words, in controlled conditions.
It's admirable to want to save an animal that is being kept in poor captive conditions. The safest way to do so is to either keep the animal for oneself or to pass it on to someone else who will care for it well. Releasing them back into the wild after possibly being exposed to foreign bacteria and viruses could be devastating to wild populations.

EKLC

5 Year Member
In addition to the disease threat, buying these tortoises creates demand for even more to be harvested from the wild. You can give good homes to individual tortoises, but eventually you'll be stretched thin and unable to take in anymore, and they'll always have another one for sale. The only way out of this is for laws and attitudes to change.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is a sad thing for sure, until humans realize that simply because we CAN destroy the earth and its creatures, does not mean we should...there are so many creatures that are devoured by human selfishness each and every day...truly sad.

Lebtort

5 Year Member
There's also the possibility of the tortoises being recaptured after being released. Definitely, the best solution would be for new laws to be introduced and implemented.

Lannen

5 Year Member
The more tort's you buy, the more they will bread to keep selling to you. Then the price will go up.

One day you decide to disengage from your release program, while tort production is at an all time high-

Now what?

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Hello I'm Jordanian and live in UAE . They do the same as Lebanon.
When I went to a Friday pet market I saw poor Greek tortoises in a plastic bag for sale
The price was 1.5 JD (2 bucks)
I got one and placed it in an indoor enclosure.
I am going to Jordan after 2 weeks so I will get a lot of them and let them escape the misery they was in !

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
They also catch Greeks locally in Jordan with a cheaper price !
2 dollars only per piece!
But they don't sell them in pet stores they sell them at the back of their van .
They are treated inhumanely there.
Stuffed in a large rice bag.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
I somehow think its better for us here to pet them instead of releasing to their wild life. Once released, they will be captured again by the seller and the rotation shall never end. Not to mention their natural habitat is slowly demolished due to construction etc.

If you are member or even lurking in TFO, its a sign that you want to take a good care of the tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.