Respiratory issues-Help please

Family Zookeeper

Brought a baby red foot tortoise home from swap meet, had her since Feb. 2017. She started exhibiting signs of respiratory issues in the last couple of weeks (bubbles in nostrils), and then stopped eating. We took her to the vet who xrayed her and gave her an antibiotic shot to start treatment (cephalordime?)may not be spelling correct. She passed away the next morning. Now, she had a cage mate, same species and size. She has some shell rot that I'm treating but is not showing the same signs. Problem: I am concerned our vet doesn't know enough and we have done a ton of research trying to get a handle on this issue b/c we have other tortoises and don't want this to spread. They are not in the same cage, but our Medium size Sulcata is having a snotty nose now too. Very worried for our Tort family, b/c we've read that it can spread like it does us having colds. Taking our sulcata in on Friday for an xray and fecal sample. Any other suggestions? Humidity, heat is good, fresh water at all times, and eating/drinking fine.

Family Zookeeper

I've ready some of your older threads regarding antibiotic types. She injected our baby tort with the same stuff we were treating our iguana for that had a injury on his nose that caused inflamation in his nostrils passages. He is doing much better, but treating her for pneumonia with same stuff? I am just a worried mama at this point. Going to the same swap meet on Saturday this week. Hoping the guy that sold us the babies is there so we can pick his brain. I live in the midwest and we only have 1 exotic vet in the city. She takes care of the animals at our river aquarium.

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I wish you and your little torts luck! I had my first tortoise die of respiratory infection and my second one has had it as well (they were both from the same breeder and the vet thinks it came from there). I can only speak from experience, and both my tortoises are a different species than yours, I'm not sure if that would make a difference. The vet prescribed new-poly-dex ophimac (probably spelling that wrong) solution to drop in his eyes and nose to clear out his system, then injections of batril (also probably spelling that wrong, sorry). The treatments were successful. I have no advice regarding keeping the infection contained aside from separate everything and hand washing. I hope I helped and again, good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ceftazidime? That's a good antibiotic. I wonder if the vet gave the correct dosage. They don't usually die that quickly from a R.I.

Most often, the cause of bubbly nose in tortoise is because they are being kept too cold/cool. Babies should never be allowed to get below 80F.

Family Zookeeper

I wish you and your little torts luck! I had my first tortoise die of respiratory infection and my second one has had it as well (they were both from the same breeder and the vet thinks it came from there). I can only speak from experience, and both my tortoises are a different species than yours, I'm not sure if that would make a difference. The vet prescribed new-poly-dex ophimac (probably spelling that wrong) solution to drop in his eyes and nose to clear out his system, then injections of batril (also probably spelling that wrong, sorry). The treatments were successful. I have no advice regarding keeping the infection contained aside from separate everything and hand washing. I hope I helped and again, good luck :)
Thanks for your input Leo!

Family Zookeeper

Ceftazidime? That's a good antibiotic. I wonder if the vet gave the correct dosage. They don't usually die that quickly from a R.I.

Most often, the cause of bubbly nose in tortoise is because they are being kept too cold/cool. Babies should never be allowed to get below 80F.
You are correct on the spelling, thank you. She said it was a small dose, and I watched her inject in the front leg. She was very sick when we took her in, so I am thinking we may have waited too long, unfortunately.
I've been closely monitoring their heat with my temp gun and she's got a good differential. Where she beds down is up to her, but she will go in a cool area we have, on occasion, to sleep. I'd say low 70s but will double check again tonight. There's a heat mat down there under her bedding to assist as well.

Family Zookeeper

I said she is a red foot, but the guy said cherry head. Here's a pic of Ember, the surviving tort. I believe she is Cherry if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• 20170415_104252.jpg
    20170415_104252.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 11

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are correct on the spelling, thank you. She said it was a small dose, and I watched her inject in the front leg. She was very sick when we took her in, so I am thinking we may have waited too long, unfortunately.
I've been closely monitoring their heat with my temp gun and she's got a good differential. Where she beds down is up to her, but she will go in a cool area we have, on occasion, to sleep. I'd say low 70s but will double check again tonight. There's a heat mat down there under her bedding to assist as well.

If this is a baby tortoise, low 70s is too cool.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll have to cover the enclosure.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Brought a baby red foot tortoise home from swap meet, had her since Feb. 2017. She started exhibiting signs of respiratory issues in the last couple of weeks (bubbles in nostrils), and then stopped eating. We took her to the vet who xrayed her and gave her an antibiotic shot to start treatment (cephalordime?)may not be spelling correct. She passed away the next morning. Now, she had a cage mate, same species and size. She has some shell rot that I'm treating but is not showing the same signs. Problem: I am concerned our vet doesn't know enough and we have done a ton of research trying to get a handle on this issue b/c we have other tortoises and don't want this to spread. They are not in the same cage, but our Medium size Sulcata is having a snotty nose now too. Very worried for our Tort family, b/c we've read that it can spread like it does us having colds. Taking our sulcata in on Friday for an xray and fecal sample. Any other suggestions? Humidity, heat is good, fresh water at all times, and eating/drinking fine.
Which swap meet did u get her from?