respiratory infection troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jess12

5 Year Member
One of my tortoises has had a respiratory infection for almost a year now , i was going to the vets for almost 6 months and there was no improvement. He is anorexic and refuses to eat , sometimes he has a bite out of something and then leaves it. a few months ago he improved by eating on his own ( half a leaf) so i have to hand feed him some Oxbow critical care powdered food through a syringe, which i got from the vets. I live in Scotland so i can rarely have him out due to the weather and the state he is in, on sunny days when i put him out in his run all day and he seems very lively. He doesn't want to bask or anything. It's a shame because when i put him in the run he tries to get to my other tortoise but obviously i can't have them together. really would appreciate some advice on how to speed up/help him through this, even some medication details , i have tried Betamox drops and also another weaker clear liquid what i've forgotten the name.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess12:

Has your vet done a smear and actually tested to see if there is an infection going on?

If all you are going by are the visible symptoms and not a microscopic test, then chances are its not a respiratory infection.

Tortoises have runny nose for various reasons. When I come across a tortoise with a bubbly nose I leave it alone and let it be a tortoise. If its indoors, you can raise the habitat's temperature. But if the tortoise is eating and otherwise acting normal, chances are its not a respiratory infection.

If the nasal discharge gets thick and changes color, and if the tortoise stops eating, THEN I will get antibiotics and treat it, but if he's eating and acting normal, I just leave him alone and let him be a tortoise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Jess. Welcome to TFO :)

Could you tell us more about your tort's enclosure please? What substrate do you use? Do you have water in the enclosure? What else is in there? What are you using for lighting: UVB and basking? (Pictures are good)

There are 4 critical temperatures we need to know:
1. Warm end
2. Cool end
3. Under the basking lamp
4. Overnight minimum

If you can give us more detail, we can at least eliminate any environmental factors that are affecting your tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. Ditto on the other post. More info would help us to better help you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

I would be interested also if the vet has done a test to confirm RI?

Status
Not open for further replies.