Respiratory infection help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennK

Hello, I recently became a new owner of a three toed box turtle. He was kept in a small dry environment and was fed nothing but spring mix salad for about a year, he was also given NO UVB lighting. I was hoping I had reached him with enough time to boost him in the right direction, however over night he seemed to go from happy, semi healthy turtle to full force respitory infection/phnumonia. Since it is the weekend the only vet in the area is closed until Monday! He is in bad shape and I am very concerned. His eyes are closed and will open with a warm soak. However, once he is done with his soak he crawls to the warmest spot, sprawls out and his eyes seal up again! He is laying sprawled out constantly and appears as if he's dead. So much so that I have to keep checking him! Is there any treatment I can give him to help until Monday!?!?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello, I recently became a new owner of a three toed box turtle. He was kept in a small dry environment and was fed nothing but spring mix salad for about a year, he was also given NO UVB lighting. I was hoping I had reached him with enough time to boost him in the right direction, however over night he seemed to go from happy, semi healthy turtle to full force respitory infection/phnumonia. Since it is the weekend the only vet in the area is closed until Monday! He is in bad shape and I am very concerned. His eyes are closed and will open with a warm soak. However, once he is done with his soak he crawls to the warmest spot, sprawls out and his eyes seal up again! He is laying sprawled out constantly and appears as if he's dead. So much so that I have to keep checking him! Is there any treatment I can give him to help until Monday!?!?
What temps are you keeping it in? Typically we tell you to Turn the temps up about 5 degrees. Post some pics of your turtle and the habitat.

JennK

Basking area: 95-100
Warm side: 80-85
Cool side: 70-75

There is basking and UVB lighting, multiple hides, 3-4" coco fiber substrate (moist not wet, dry on top) rocky area for complete drying, and a small "pond" with filtered water fall for soaking and drinking.

I spot clean daily, change out water every other to every three days, and complete run down once a month. There are two three toed box turtles, habitat dimensions are 2 1/2' x 4 1/2'

Out door enclosure measures 4'x8' and is used when weather is acclimate.

JennK

Due to a high pest rate they are not kept outside unless I am out there for their safety. Which is generally multiple hours a day any way!

JennK

5.0 purchased a month ago, will be upgrading once new enclosure is build.image.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Turn that bulb off its the wrong kind. The coil and compact fluorescent bulbs have been know to cause eye problems

JennK

Up until yesterday, more than healthy appetite. I spray/powder all foods with a multi vitamin every other day because I know he has not received UVB nor the proper diet in over a year.

JennK

It was literally, yesterday he was a bit sluggish, didn't seem his self, this morning, full blown sick! Snot bubbles, eyes closed, don't stay open for very long. Stays in the basking area sprawled out, no interest in any food.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It was literally, yesterday he was a bit sluggish, didn't seem his self, this morning, full blown sick! Snot bubbles, eyes closed, don't stay open for very long. Stays in the basking area sprawled out, no interest in any food.
Bump the temps up a little bit, do some baby food soaks (50/50 water and baby food) pick a baby food like carrot or sweet potato... You want something high in vitamin A.

What else can be done while she's waiting for a vet @Yvonne G

JennK

When pet smart opens I'm going to go get those eye drops, if anything else it should ease some of the discomfort. Do you think I should bring her outside today?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
When pet smart opens I'm going to go get those eye drops, if anything else it should ease some of the discomfort. Do you think I should bring her outside today?
No. Donto have a separate tank you can set up just for the sick one?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Increase the humidity in the tank. The substrate can hold much more water. Don't bother misting, pour it in. As already said, get rid of that bulb right away.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

And wishes for your sick tort to get welll soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure the biggest part of the problem with the turtle is the light. Get rid of it. While your turtle is ill you need to keep the whole habitat at least 80F degrees. I doubt you'll be able to keep it that warm with the whole front open like that. I think you need to cover the mesh with plastic or something else to keep the warm air inside. Soak the turtle daily. If you know of a feed store in your town you can buy a little foil package of Terramycin water soluble powder:

Tm%2025.jpg

Put a quarter teaspoon per quart of warm water and leave the turtle soaking in it for at least a half hour (you'll need to use something he can't climb out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.