Respiratory Infection: Contagion precautions?

Eggie

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello everyone. I created this account because I have recently had an upsetting experience with one of my yellow-bellied sliders, and I want to prevent something like this happening again in the future.

About 11 years ago I acquired 3 rescue yellow-bellied sliders.

Since owning these little guys I have had two experiences with respiratory infections. My first experience was about 7 years ago. One of the turtles (not genetically related to the two others) came down with an RI. I took him to the vet, they gave him antibiotics, and he was better within a week. I reduced the water level in his tank, did dry docking sessions, and increased the basking/water temperature as well. He showed all the classic signs: discharge from the nose and mouth, lethargy, reluctancy to eat, and swimming at a slight angle.

Last week was my second experience.

To give some context: my three turtles were divided into two tanks. One male and one female in one tank, and one solo male in another. The two males were fighting quite a bit so I separated them. They had been separated at this point for about a year. (I can give more information about tank set-up if needed, but they had everything they needed including UVA/UVB, heat, basking platform, etc.). The separated solo male has always been more reserved compared to the other two. He has always been very shy, skiddish, and a light eater. But otherwise he appeared to be healthy and growing normally.

So last weekend the solo male started to eat less, started to accumulate a 'mucus beard', and appeared more lethargic. I became worried, so I started to clean the tank more often, I tried to increase the basking temperature, etc. In addition I went and purchased API Turtle Fix and put some in the tank while doing water changes (including a turtle water conditioner and a sludge destroyer). He started to eat a little bit more and the mucus beard reduced, but he was still lethargic. He then started to float sideways at a very dramatic angle. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they prescribed him antibiotics that had to be administered via a shot to the pectoral muscle once every three days. They also suggested dry docking with the basking light turned on 24/7 while doing 2 1-hour soaks each day. Two shots in and he started to really pull through, so I thought. He started to get his energy back. And he started to regain the ability to swim. This morning he received his second shot, ate a lot of food, and started to walk around. I left for the day and when I returned he had passed away.

It doesn't appear that he died of dehydration because he didn't have sunken eyes. His skin was slightly wrinkly but it normally appeared that way unless he was fully out of his shell. His skin wasn't crackled. So I am concerned that either (A) the medication, coupled with dry docking, stressed him out too much, or (B) the respiratory infection was not getting better and it finally caught up with him. I am now with a new vet (have moved to another state), and they aren't as familiar with water turtles as they are tortoises. So they just told me to keep an eye out. I was hoping to get some additional advice here.

While the solo male was in a separate tank from the other two individuals, his tank was still in the same room as them and I used the same cleaning supplies to clean their tank about two weeks before. I cleaned their tank thoroughly, removed them and gave them a scrub, and put in water conditioner with the API turtle fix just in case. I still have antibiotics leftover just in case. But I am concerned that this might spread to them.

What other precautions should I take? Should I start raising their basking/water temperature just in case? Should I start doing daily water changes? Etc. I am concerned because I have been told over the past few years that symptoms tend to pop up when the RI is the most severe, and I want to make sure I am prepared.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I will take any and all advice at this point.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I'll send a shout out to one of our more experienced water turtle members - @Markw84

I'm more into tortoises, but my gut feeling is that an R.I. isn't contagious, and that, even though your turtle had the R.I. symptons, I think he died from something else????? He was dry docked at the time of his passing, right? I'm thinking the death was in regards to being dry docked, but that's just a guess. Let's wait for Mark to see this and see if he has any insight for you.

Eggie

Los Angeles
Hi and welcome!

I'll send a shout out to one of our more experienced water turtle members - @Markw84

I'm more into tortoises, but my gut feeling is that an R.I. isn't contagious, and that, even though your turtle had the R.I. symptons, I think he died from something else????? He was dry docked at the time of his passing, right? I'm thinking the death was in regards to being dry docked, but that's just a guess. Let's wait for Mark to see this and see if he has any insight for you.

Thanks for pinging the other user and thanks for your response! Yeah, I feel like it was stress induced via dry dock and medication and being sick :( I hope the other two don't catch it.