Researching new baby tortoise

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I haven’t been on here in a while, since our Russian escaped his enclosure that broke during a move almost 2 years ago. Well that said my kids have been expressing the desire to have a new tortoise. I know we want to start with a hand raised baby and we have an amazing reptarium that has many different species nearby. So as is I’m trying to decide what would be best for us. Size isn’t too much of an issue except that a Sulcata would be much too big.
We plan to get the tortoise in about a month and house it indoors for the winter, while my husband builds an outdoor enclosure. We are undecided on the type of enclosure we will make except that the sides will be plywood and topped with chicken wire to prevent pets from getting in. Our yard is huge so the size of enclosure will be based on the tortoise itself and it’s needs. My main concern is what will do best for us as ideally an outdoor only tortoise will be best after the first winter. We live in Fort Worth Texas so we get nice hot summers but also pretty cold winters. I’m fine providing heating pads and such for that time.
Also a tortoise that can handle very seldom occasional handling and hand feeding would be ideal for my kids to interact. They are very used to reptiles of all sorts and know they are for looking and not touching however. Any ideas and advice are welcome!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Leopards are a nice size, mine is very friendly. Unless you are looking for a smaller size, then Hermanns are very nice too.

Violanna

Texas
so update, I talked to my husband and he actually like the idea of a sulcata. It would just depend on how fast they grow. We have the space outdoors but not the finances or time to make a permanent enclosure that would suit one. Can anyone tell me about how much a Sulcata grows each year and at what age they reach full size?