Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
What or where is the best place to research and learn about tortoises and turtles?
I have 2 torts so I know keeping them learns you valuable lessons but I want to learn all sorts about them; history, anatomy etc. I know books and the net are good but I always wonder if its accurate because of opinion and mixed info. Ideally I would like to go back to school but that's not realistic and there is nothing in Scotland I can find to go and learn.
I just wondered where you all learned? Is it purely experience as keepers?
Is there any websites you would recommend?
If money was not an issue where would you recommend visiting to see and learn about these magnificent creatures?

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
hi laney, first of all i want to know what kind of tortoises do you have? based in your picture i am guessing is your tortoises are russian tortoise? well if so i can help you because i am an owner of an adult female russian tortoise. i will just give you a website that will give you anything you need about your russian tortoise ( if it is really a russian tortoise). here is the website : http://www.russiantortoise.net/

i used that website to learn about my russian tortoise (i don't know about the history about russian tortoise)

if your tortoise is not a RT please don't be shy to ask me because i might can still help you.:D

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
russian tortoise boy said:
hi laney, first of all i want to know what kind of tortoises do you have? based in your picture i am guessing is your tortoises are russian tortoise? well if so i can help you because i am an owner of an adult female russian tortoise. i will just give you a website that will give you anything you need about your russian tortoise ( if it is really a russian tortoise). here is the website : http://www.russiantortoise.net/

i used that website to learn about my russian tortoise (i don't know about the history about russian tortoise)

if your tortoise is not a RT please don't be shy to ask me because i might can still help you.:D

Yeah I have 2 Russians :) I will look that website up, thanks. I don't have any questions specifically, and I've changed quite a lot in the short time I have had my babies through learning on the forum, so I think we are good at the moment for their care (although always room for improvement)!! It's great to be in touch with someone else who is more experienced so thanks and I will probable bombard you with Russian questions lol.

I would love to just learn about all torts and turtles in depth as an interest and maybe work with them in the future and breed :)
I just can't get enough of the torts and want to know soon much more in general

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
laney said:

Hi, Laney. I've noticed that on this forum, traffic can be a little slow on the weekends. It sometimes annoys me because I want answers to my questions NOW (after all, it's all about ME, isn't it? Ha!) I've had to remember that people here have families and jobs, so sometimes weekends get taken for ballgames, dates and other family activities. When I'm patient, sooner or later I'll get my answers! This is a great forum and there's lots of people with tons of experience here. I don't know anything about Russians- sorry.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1560982128/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

When I was a child, I selected the above book as I was to spend decent chunks of time visiting other countries.

For genuine and legitimate scientific study with appropriate conduct, a good resource is Pubmed.

For expansion of your own most applicable types of knowledge, experience is a great teacher. In terms of care, I would say this last one trumps all, but it takes a strong mind to avoid substituting correlation for causation and to avoid self-fulfilling prophecy (most folks start with a decision in mind and seek to support it, but proper deduction involves an evidence driven decision instead of decision driven evidence).

There are other resources available as well. Pick your poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.