Rescued russian.

MW3

Location (City and/or State)
Wales UK
Hello, I'm a new tort mum but have wanted one since I was a kid. I was recently looking to buy a baby when a friend told me about someone looking to re-home a relatively young russian.
We took his tortoise table and other housing, I am happy we did because I don't like it at all. I'm building a new home for him but currently he's still in his tort table . I'm going to post photos so just keep that in mind.

We left him a few days, just hung around and fed him so he got used to being in a new environment.
He is very active, eats well, urinates and deficates daily.
His first bath I noticed a few grooves on his under shell, no cracks, no blood. From what I can gather it's not normal but it's nothing to really panic about.
He also looks to be pyramiding, I am no expert which I why I'm posting. Firstly I just want reassurance that it's not anything too serious, I am happy to take to the vets if needed.
Secondly I know his lights, calcium and multivitamins will stop the pyramiding getting worse but as he is still quite young is there anything I can do to maybe reverse it?.
Thank you in advance for any input you can give me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200710_121750__01.jpg
    IMG_20200710_121750__01.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200710_121705.jpg
    IMG_20200710_121705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi,

I live with two rescued Russians and am in love with their inquisitive and active nature as well.

I think your tort's shell looks fine, and I wouldn't worry about it besides a weekly soak in warm water.

If you can provide the temperature range he needs, provide some UV for him, along with a steady supply of weeds and flowers from outside (or mixed greens from the grocer if you're unable to access pesticide/fertilizer free weeds/flowers), they should do wonderfully.

There's plenty of useful tips in the Russian Tortoise sub-forum here on TFO, and a lot of experienced and knowledgable keepers willing to help.

Enjoy!

Jamie

Reactions: Ink

MW3

Wales UK
Hi,

I live with two rescued Russians and am in love with their inquisitive and active nature as well.

I think your tort's shell looks fine, and I wouldn't worry about it besides a weekly soak in warm water.

If you can provide the temperature range he needs, provide some UV for him, along with a steady supply of weeds and flowers from outside (or mixed greens from the grocer if you're unable to access pesticide/fertilizer free weeds/flowers), they should do wonderfully.

There's plenty of useful tips in the Russian Tortoise sub-forum here on TFO, and a lot of experienced and knowledgable keepers willing to help.

Enjoy!

Jamie

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have done so much research leading up to his arrival and some of it has been confusing. Looking through some interesting posts has definitely cleared a few thing up.
I can't wait to get him in his new home ?