Rescued red-footed tortoise, need knowledge and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixidelic

5 Year Member
I took in a 3-4 year old red-footed tortoise as of last night and I'm hoping for some good advice on giving her the best recovery and care possible.

:tort: We named her Tortuga. :)

She's obviously been poorly cared for, as both of her back legs have atrophied to stumps. :( Also, her head coloring is very dull and ashy, not the vibrant red of a healthy tort. She is currently in a 30-40 gallon aquarium with coconut bark substrate and a 6-8 inch 'half-log' dome. She has a 10 inch rock type water dish, and a 3-4 inch rock dish, presumably for food, but it was covered under inches of substrate, so who knows their original intent. :( She also came with a full bottle of Zoo-Med Forest Tortoise food, Fluker's Calcium & D3 powder, and an Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb. Sadly, along with cage full of poo :(

We live in the Pacific NW, and we are not able to put her in a tortoise table right away, so we need to make her enclosure as good as possible in the meantime. Hopefully by summer we can expand to a table.

My biggest concerns at this point are diet, environment, and health.

First of all, the people we rescued her from said that she lost her legs because they fed her too many tomatoes and she became diabetic. Supposedly they got this information from a vet, but we both got the feeling that they might be making it up. :(

Do tortoises actually become diabetic??
If Tortuga is diabetic, I would expect there to be a specialized diet for her, but they didn't indicate that there was, so...?

I also heard that gout can occur in tortoises...could this be the culprit?

OR realistically, could this loss of limb actually be the combined result of too-low temperatures and improper diet?

As of today, Tortuga uses her rear stumps as if they were still complete legs; they do not appear to be discolored or to give her pain, but it does seem to me as if she struggles a bit to maneuver in and around the rock dishes.

I was thinking of using a small painter's tray to give her a small incline to a shallow water area, which seems like it would be much easier than the bulky rock tub she's got at the moment.

For meals I have given her chopped up celery leaves, Forest Tort pellets moistened and shredded, and calcium/d3 powder. Today I gave her a finely chopped mix of overripe jicama, overripe cucumber, romaine lettuce, forest tort pellets, a tiny bit of yogurt, and the vitamin powder.

She definitely has a great appetite, and I'd really love any suggestions and advice you might have for her!

As for the temperature in her tank, I don't think the light she has puts off any heat at all! She has a heating pad under the tank where her log home is, but I wonder if she should have a heated rock or an additional light that could provide heat?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this!
My family (which now includes Tortuga) is very grateful for your advice! :)

Cheers!

:) [/size][/font]pixie

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
She needs protein too..
I would guess she has/had MBD and drags her feet, or a dog chewed them off... post pics and a video of her walking if you can..
also go to the Redfoot section and read the sticky posts at the very top of the section.. great info there.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Go to tortoiselibrary.com there is lots of great info on feeding redfoots there. Greens, tropical fruits. Even sweet potatoes..im so sorry she has had such a rough life..post some pics.

pixidelic

5 Year Member
pixidelic said:
I took in a 3-4 year old red-footed tortoise as of last night and I'm hoping for some good advice on giving her the best recovery and care possible.

:tort: We named her Tortuga. :)

She's obviously been poorly cared for, as both of her back legs have atrophied to stumps. :( Also, her head coloring is very dull and ashy, not the vibrant red of a healthy tort. She is currently in a 30-40 gallon aquarium with coconut bark substrate and a 6-8 inch 'half-log' dome. She has a 10 inch rock type water dish, and a 3-4 inch rock dish, presumably for food, but it was covered under inches of substrate, so who knows their original intent. :( She also came with a full bottle of Zoo-Med Forest Tortoise food, Fluker's Calcium & D3 powder, and an Exo-Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb. Sadly, along with cage full of poo :(

We live in the Pacific NW, and we are not able to put her in a tortoise table right away, so we need to make her enclosure as good as possible in the meantime. Hopefully by summer we can expand to a table.

My biggest concerns at this point are diet, environment, and health.

First of all, the people we rescued her from said that she lost her legs because they fed her too many tomatoes and she became diabetic. Supposedly they got this information from a vet, but we both got the feeling that they might be making it up. :(

Do tortoises actually become diabetic??
If Tortuga is diabetic, I would expect there to be a specialized diet for her, but they didn't indicate that there was, so...?

I also heard that gout can occur in tortoises...could this be the culprit?

OR realistically, could this loss of limb actually be the combined result of too-low temperatures and improper diet?

As of today, Tortuga uses her rear stumps as if they were still complete legs; they do not appear to be discolored or to give her pain, but it does seem to me as if she struggles a bit to maneuver in and around the rock dishes.

I was thinking of using a small painter's tray to give her a small incline to a shallow water area, which seems like it would be much easier than the bulky rock tub she's got at the moment.

For meals I have given her chopped up celery leaves, Forest Tort pellets moistened and shredded, and calcium/d3 powder. Today I gave her a finely chopped mix of overripe jicama, overripe cucumber, romaine lettuce, forest tort pellets, a tiny bit of yogurt, and the vitamin powder.

She definitely has a great appetite, and I'd really love any suggestions and advice you might have for her!

As for the temperature in her tank, I don't think the light she has puts off any heat at all! She has a heating pad under the tank where her log home is, but I wonder if she should have a heated rock or an additional light that could provide heat?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this!
My family (which now includes Tortuga) is very grateful for your advice! :)

Cheers!

:) [/size][/font]pixie

pixidelic

5 Year Member
Thanks for your responses! I will try to post pics very soon!

More sad news about Tortuga's condition though...

I gave her a soak today and found that a piece of the plastron is missing from her carapace, under which the shell is white, and visibly porous on the edge.

:( Any suggestions for this particular issue?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
since they tend not to like a lot of light... use a CHE Ceramic Heat Emitter... they need it warm, not bright.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
We need to know the size of your tortoise. 3-4 years old could mean 4" under horrible care, or 6"...So try and get a measurement...Please post a picture of your tortoise when you get a chance.

First off, the hind legs aren't diabetes. Now, nobody knows everything, but I have never heard of a diabetic tortoise. And if it were, the diabetes were not from to many tomatoes...However, tomatoes are to highly acidic for common use in a tortoises' diet. Without seeing a picture, I would take a guess it had something to do with hind leg paralysis from a combination of lack of proper diet and husbandry, and lack of protein.

The habitat needs completely redone...Could you possibly make a wooden box with a pond liner? Or some sort of thing. The 40 gallon tank isn't very suitable...But if you must, you must. First off, you need a temperature and humidity gauge. The ambient temperature should be 82 degrees. There should be a basking spot of 90-95; yes, red foots do bask :). CHE (ceramic heat emitter) works well for heat. The humidity should be as high as you can possibly get it. Must be over 80%, but 100% is fine.
One is lead to wonder how old the UV bulb is...They have to have UV, and though the bulb you have provides it, the amount of output lessens steadily over the years. So, if possible, it would be best to buy a new UV/UVB bulb (there are many types). The painters tray water bowl is a good idea, and are very useful with the slope.

The substrate should be one of two...Either spaghum moss (Better-Gro and Mosser-Lee are two very good brans sold at home depot or Lowes) or cypress mulch. I prefer to use fine cypress mulch as the floor, and then fill the hide with loose spaghum moss. The moss is loved by tortoises, as they appreciate having something to bury into. It helps them feel more secure.

Now, onto hydration. Starting as soon as you read this, you should soak the tortoise in warm water for 20-30 minutes once in the morning and once at night. This can be tapered off to one soak a day in several weeks/months, but as many soaks as you have time for is best. So, 2 if you can, 1 if you don't have the time. Soaking is CRUCIAL to any young tortoise, so don't miss this step.

And diet....None of the foods are very suitable choices, unfortunately. The feeding of red foot tortoises should consist of a 60/30/10 ratio. 60% greens, 30% fruits, 10% vegetables. Here is a good list:

Greens: Collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, radicchio, dandelion, arugala (only weekly), escarole, endive, chicory, Kale (has many good qualities, but due to a substance called "goitrogens" which can bind iodine absorption - basically, a bad thing - they should only be fed once every other week.), Spinach (what I call a "if you have in the fridge" food. Only once a week), and Spring Mix (sold at most grocery stores in boxes).

Fruit: Plum, peach, fig, blackberry, raspberry, canteloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, mulberry, passion fruit, papaya, mango, strawberries, kiwi, grapes

Vegetables: Yellow, green, butternut, and acorn squash, pumpkin (some say fruit, I call it a veggie), carrots (only once every other week).
Also, mushrooms. I'm never sure where to classify these. Portabella and oyster mushrooms are very good choices, and can be fed every few feedings. They are usually a favorite.

I always recommend to any red foot owners to buy a hibiscus bush, or a similar plant, such as R.O.S (rose of sharon) or flowering maple. The leaves and blooms are very nutritious, and an absolute favorite of the hatchlings.
Last but not least, protein. Redfoot tortoises need to have some sort of protein food. It should only make up about half (at most) of what a red foot eats at one meal, only once a week. Good choices are butter worms, silkworms, earthworms, or night crawlers. Insects such as this are better for young tortoises, but turkey and chicken can also be used as substitutes.

If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me and I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge.

pixidelic

5 Year Member
I'm trying to upload pics of Tortuga now... :tort:

tortuga_1.jpg
tortuga_stump.jpg

straight carapace length is 4 inches, and one of her stumps is pictured in use...she doesn't appear to drag them behind her.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
She really doesn't look to bad. No outward signs of MBD, that I can see. Her skin looks a little dry, but that will clear up soon if you keep the humidity high.
Its hard to say with the legs...I can't believe diabetes, because I've never ever heard of it, but there could be a multitude of reasons. Perhaps being raised in a to-small tank, the lack of excercise caused them to deform? But at such a small size, I have doubts on that. Perhaps it was a birth defect? But why would that say they were amputated if that was the case. The stump does not have toes, or nails? If there is some sort of scars on the bottom of the feet, I would definitely say amputation.
Perhaps the most likely scenario is a dog DID chew them off, and the owners made up the story because they did not want to reveal to you their irresponsibility....

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
She really does look better then i anticipated.. not sure i believe the diebetic issue either. She seems like the growth of. Her shell is pretty smooth. I must say she is very beautiful...keep the pictures comming. I am very intrigued with your tort

pixidelic

5 Year Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies!!
I'm glad to hear your thoughts on our precious Tortuga! :) I think she's pretty darned awesome!! :tort:
Supposedly the previous owners found her atrophied legs in the substrate when they were cleaning the tank...
(just like I found the piece of her plastron yesterday :( )
but they do in fact have two big dogs that admittedly "played" with her on occasion, so perhaps there is more to that story than I know for sure. There don't appear to be scars, but the skin is semi-dry, and I'm hoping it will hydrate with continued soaks. I will be looking for a ceramic heat emitter when I go to the 'big town' next week, any other ideas of what I might need right away to help Tortuga feel at home?
Thanks much! :p Pixie

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
An appropriate diet, temps and humidity should help her feel at home. The skin will clear up fine after a few weeks at most.

pixidelic

5 Year Member
Immediately following this post (hopefully) is a pic of Tortuga's poor plastron :(

Notice the missing piece on her leftside posterior, and the black coloration emanating from the center.
Also, the space between each section seems very deep.
Yesterday I applied Mupirocin ointment to counter any biological contaminants...does someone have a suggestion for this?

"The substrate should be one of two...Either spaghum moss (Better-Gro and Mosser-Lee are two very good brans sold at home depot or Lowes) or cypress mulch. I prefer to use fine cypress mulch as the floor, and then fill the hide with loose spaghum moss. The moss is loved by tortoises, as they appreciate having something to bury into. It helps them feel more secure." - redfootsrule

I need new substrate for sure...any more ideas on what might be best for this?? Just want to make sure I have a comprehensive base of knowledge from which to make good choices for this pretty little lady!!

THanks in advancE!
:) - pix

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Maybe She Hatched With A Dissability And There Making Up A Story So This Wouldnt Put You Off?
She Has Slight Pyramiding But No Concern If You Keep Humidity 85%+
Temps Need To Be About 75-80 farenheit on the cool side and a basking spot of around 95-100farenheit i do not reccomend a tortoise table unless you can cover the top 3/4 of it to turn it more like a viv to hold humidity.
Calcium Is Crucial So A Cuttle Bone Works Wonders.
The Diet- 5% Protein, 85% Weeds And Vegetables, 10% Fruit
Protein Can Be Fead Via- Boiled Chicken, Oily Fish, Tuna, Boiled Egg,Snails,Slugs,Pinkies,Hoppers,Mealworms,Low Fat Dog/Cat Food. Soak Daily Atleast. for 20-30minutes. Make Sure Substrate Is Not Dusty And Make Sure She Has Plenty Of Places To Hide, Yes They Bask But Like To Be Hidden Also!!

Substrate Can Be-
Coco Coir
Sphagnum moss
Cypress Mulch
Orchard Bark
Peat Moss...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
pixidelic said:
Immediately following this post (hopefully) is a pic of Tortuga's poor plastron :(

Notice the missing piece on her leftside posterior, and the black coloration emanating from the center.
Also, the space between each section seems very deep.
Yesterday I applied Mupirocin ointment to counter any biological contaminants...does someone have a suggestion for this?

"The substrate should be one of two...Either spaghum moss (Better-Gro and Mosser-Lee are two very good brans sold at home depot or Lowes) or cypress mulch. I prefer to use fine cypress mulch as the floor, and then fill the hide with loose spaghum moss. The moss is loved by tortoises, as they appreciate having something to bury into. It helps them feel more secure." - redfootsrule

I need new substrate for sure...any more ideas on what might be best for this?? Just want to make sure I have a comprehensive base of knowledge from which to make good choices for this pretty little lady!!

THanks in advancE!
:) - pix

For substrate? Cypress mulch and spaghum moss are always the best. I know a lot use "coco-fiber" but I hate the stuff. They track it everywhere, and it sticks to them when it gets moist...and the substrate must be moist. Whatever you use, make sure you mist it several times a day.
Any questions you might have feel free to pm me...

Tyler,
Fahrenheit not Celsius :).

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Peter, Thankyou That Could Of Been Disastorous, Ive Changed It Now, I Even Though To Myself ''Which One Is It'' When I Wrote It :S But On My Behalf. It Is 4am ;')

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
tyler0912 said:
Peter, Thankyou That Could Of Been Disastorous, Ive Changed It Now, I Even Though To Myself ''Which One Is It'' When I Wrote It :S But On My Behalf. It Is 4am ;')

No worries, I doubt she could have achieved a temp of 176 without putting him in an oven anyways :).

pixidelic

5 Year Member
*here's hoping*

pics of Tortuga's underside...plastron is in poor shape.

tortoiselibrary.com says not to sudden provide too much calcium to a tort whose may have a calcium deficiency....I'm curious what "too much" entails? I have Fluker's Calcium & D3 powder...how often should I add this to Tortuga's meals...and about how many meals per day is common for a red-foot of this age?

Thanks again so much!!

:) Pix & fam

Attachments

• Tortuga_plastron.jpg
    Tortuga_plastron.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
That Looks Like Healthy Growth Over An Injury. But What Strikes Me Is The Crack In The Centre?
And I Think It Means If You Give Calcium x2 a week dont suddenly go to x7 times a week because it will be wasted and not able to be absorbed in the time given and will come out in urates.

Status
Not open for further replies.