RESCUED: MS. PIGGY

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I received Ms. Piggy from a member here who couldn't continue caring for Ms. Piggy, who herself rescued Ms. Piggy from her owner two months ago. I have her now and she's in real bad shape. After a vet visit, Ms Piggy's liver and kidneys are failing. The blood work shows alarming levels of uric acid, and she's extremely anemic. Currently, she's not eating or defecating/urinating. She's on critical care food, and is now undergoing rapid fluid intake therapy. Although the prognosis isn't good, there's a 20% chance that things could start to turn around for her. She's a real fighter. She survived 6 years being just 2 pounds! I say she's in that 20% range.

I wanted to introduce my new baby together with a bunch of pictures just in case it may be too late. So, here we go.

WP_001195.jpg Ms. Piggy's first soak in her new home.

WP_001225.jpg Ms. Piggy's weight.

WP_001205.jpg Ms. Piggy's new enclosure equipped with a pool for self soaks

WP_001211.jpg She's checking out her new home.

WP_001214.jpg Ooh, I see something in the corner.

WP_001218.jpg Do you mind?!

WP_001240.jpg Just chilling under the sun;)

WP_001250.jpg It's a nice sunny day to stroll
WP_001256.jpg

WP_001261.jpg Do you like my face?

WP_001348.jpg Here's me hanging over the pool :cool:

WP_001341.jpg Mom, please don't try to take my picture while I'm trying to sleep...ugh! Good Night everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I hope Ms Piggy pulls through. She's a pretty little thing. I wish you all the best, good luck.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man. Poor Ms Piggy, she's way way skinny. Gosh sibi, she is your fine and good care, I do hope the odds against her can be overcome. Breaks.Your.Heart. She has a darling face. Get strong and well Ms Piggy! : )

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Ms.Sibi Im praying so hard for her. That little girl is precious. Thank you so much for all you've done. And Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
She is so beautiful. Would you be willing to share her lab work with me? I'd like to have it for reference.

You are doing incredible. How is her energy level now?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's what the vet was concerned with. She's weak. When you pull on her front legs, they just give. She's just so precious. I love her eyes. Yeah, I'll get her lab work for you. After her fluid injections, when I took her home, a lot of mucus came out of her mouth and nose.

Thanks Tom. I hope she makes it too. I will do my darnedest to bring her back from the brink of death.

Sulcata_Sandy said:
She is so beautiful. Would you be willing to share her lab work with me? I'd like to have it for reference.

You are doing incredible. How is her energy level now?

AlishaT

5 Year Member
[CRYING FACE] I'm sorry she's not doing so good. Please give her a little rub on her head from me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So how much fluid did the Vet put in? When does it get done again (or does it)?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
She has this treatment everyday for a week. Then another blood work. If the levels get better, we continue with aggressive treatment and feeding tube. If the numbers are the same or worse, it can be determined that it's just a matter of time when she passes. I will not put her down. I will continue to keep her warm and comfortable until she either dies or becomes another miracle baby.
Jacqui said:
So how much fluid did the Vet put in? When does it get done again (or does it)?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Praying for this girl. Awesome that you're taking on this challenge. Thanks for the updates.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you for the update Ms.Sylvia Thank you sooo much for everything. Lots of people are praying. Its touch and go i know but i also KNOW shes a fighter.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Ms.Piggy will pull through! and hopefully one day she will become MRS.Piggy if ya know what I mean :p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Nothing would make me more prouder than to see this beautiful specimen of a female have a family of her own one day. I will bug her to stay alive. If anyone knows me, they can believe that I'm real good at that:p
diamondbp said:
Ms.Piggy will pull through! and hopefully one day she will become MRS.Piggy if ya know what I mean :p

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Poor lil sweetheart. Best of luck to you and Ms. Piggy.
BTW - absolutely love her pool!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you. Actually, that pool is a mosaic birdbath. Makes a nice pool for the torties.
gieseygirly said:
Poor lil sweetheart. Best of luck to you and Ms. Piggy.
BTW - absolutely love her pool!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sibi how much fluid is she getting each day?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck Sibi. She is really a pretty tort. I know you will do everything for her. I sure hope it all works out for the best. However, if she doesn't start making a turn around and does get worse, please do consider putting her down, before you let her suffer. I know its a hard, terrible decision to ever have to make, but it's the best one for them, if they are suffering. Please keep us posted on her improvement:). Positive thinking, can't hurt.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I really don't know. I may have been told the cc amount, but I was more interested in what was in the fluid. I could get that tomorrow when I go back. She's been blowing bubbles out of her nose and mouth. I used a suction tube to get the mucus out of her nose. It worked too. She stopped blowing bubbles.

Thank you Barb. That was so sweet of you, considering how unpleasant I've been lately. I apologize if I was a royal pain in the butt. I have been under tremendous stress lately.I would never let an animal suffer...if she's not suffering, like with the mucus in her nose and throat that she's going through now, I wouldn't put her down. But, if she's gasping for air, and nothing can be done for her, yeah, of course I'll put her down. I suspect that she'll pull through. I see it in her eyes. She wants to live!