Rescued mama kitty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
A while back a very thin cat kept sneaking over for dinner in the evening, and as I watched her more closely I realized from the shape of her sagging belly that she must have kittens. So I fed her and was soft-spoken to her, but she was wild, probably feral. After she had been coming to eat for a week or so I quietly tried to follow her 'home' after she had finished eating. She went across the street. There's a house there, but the guy works long hours and is hardly ever home, and his lot is about 2 acres of brush and weeds. As I sneaked across the street, hiding behind the trees, I saw 5 pretty big kittens come out to greet her. She was pretty small anyway, but being very thin made her look even smaller, and the five kittens looked to be almost as big as she was.

So I took the Have-a-heart trap over there and baited it with canned cat food, and after five days I had trapped them all except for one who was too canny to go into the trap.

The kittens went to the SPCA (another long story - the SPCA wouldn't take them because I'm not in the City, so I tricked them into taking them) and Mama cat got taken to the vet to be spayed, then locked up in my vacant house's bedroom (There's an old house on my property that I use for storage).

After several weeks of being locked up in the bedroom, being played with several times a day, and fed well, she was released. I named her Spencer because she looks just like a Spencer that belonged to a friend of mine. Good food, good care and lots of love later, this is what Spencer looks like now (I wish I had taken a before picture):

Spencer 10-21-14.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Funny how you can get so attached. I live on a busy street that is one of the main streets out of town and into the country. Many, many people think its a great idea to drop their cats off in my neighborhood. So all the cats that live here now are strays that just showed up. They've been spayed or neutered. And I 'like' them, but have never really bonded with any of them, except for Spencer. I really love this kitty! If I didn't already have an in-th-house cat, I'd bring Spencer in.

Delilah1623

Ugh, people.... too bad more of them don't get spayed and neutered lol

I am glad she found someone who cared enough to watch over her. You are her little guardian angel.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really wish there were more animal loving people like you Yvonne. That cat looks great and no signs of being skinny is showing, that's for sure. She is a beautiful cat too.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is a wonderful story!! Spencer is such a lucky kitty!! So are the babies.
This made my day!
Nice job!! :):):):)

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I just did the same recently... Originally took in 4 orphaned kittens. And shortly there after, a pregnant stray that had 4 of her own. However 3 of hers didn't make it. :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I also have a 4 month old kitten living upstairs that was wandering around our houses. My 20 year old daughter brought him in upstairs when the nights started getting cold. I don't know what the plans are for this kitten yet.