Rescued leopard tortoise - need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildheart

5 Year Member
I am sorry I posted this in the intro as well. After thinking I realized that it most probable was not the best place to post to get an urgent answer.

I am Afrikaans, from South Africa and have a house next to the Kruger National Park and another house 5 hours away in Johannesburg. We have an abundance of wild tortoises etc. on our property at Kruger and I am only familiar with the wild kind.

My problem is that a leopard tortoise was dropped off at my home in Johannesburg yesterday. Johannesburg is no place for a tortoise because there is a huge difference in the climate and we've been having a lot of rain. Apparently he was found walking in the street, thank God he wasnt eaten by the Africans or driven over! The people that found him placed him in their yard and left him permanently outside since the 28th of November 09. He only ate grass and old lettuce during this time. We've been having a cold summer in Johannesburg with temperatures only reaching 27C and 15C at night (80 - 59). It also has been raining heavily every day for about an hour and this poor tortoise were outside with no shelter etc.!

They brought him to me, not in a box, but by holding him in the air and he was pooping and weeing everywhere. I almost had a heart attack - how on earth can you carry a tortoise or any kind of animal like that! He must have been so afraid thinking that a Martial eagle got hold of him, my heart broke!

I've placed him on top of a blanked in a huge low cut box - (he can see over the edge) under a basking light. He did peak out a couple of times but did not move much and he slept like that last night. It is rainy today so he cant go outside. I fed him the same food as my iguana except that I added grass and no veggies or fruit because he does not get that in his natural environment. After heating up he started walking all over the house and pooped once again and weed twice. Is that normal? He is definitely extremely stressed so I did not give him an over all inspection yet.

I will take photos of him tonight and try and weigh him. I want to know his approximate age and what sex he is.

If he is not too old and too used to captivity then I would like to release him at my other house. If I do that then it would be exactly the same as being back in the wild, there are no gardens etc. just bushveld. There is also all the natural predators ect. and the correct climate and food.

Will it be the right thing to do to release him? If he is big enough then his only thread would be elephants and buffalo on land and there are just a few types of eagles that prey on big tortoises. Ag, I dont know what to do!

He cant free-roam in my garden because in the front we have dogs, at the back we have a swimming pool and on the side is my iguana jungle. Will he fall into the pool or are they clever enough to stay away from lots of water?

Is it normal that he breathes heavily? He is not wet around the nose but it seems like he is battling to breath. I am afraid that he might have got sick from sleeping outside and being in the rain. How do they breath normally?

The only vet that can help me will be back in Feb, he is on holiday. Sad

I will try and record his breathing as well so you can tell me if it is urgent or just my nerves.

Any suggestions of what I can do to make him more comfortable? Should I give him a low water bath because he is very dirty? Can I release him if he is healthy?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
It sounds good that someone brought him to you who knows about torts. We need to know a good size and weight for him and a picture if possible. Since he has pooped and peed, that means he appears to be getting sufficient food and water, which is good. You can continue to feed him like you are now. I imagine he has been through a lot and is pretty stressed, so it may take a little while to relax and come out in your house. The heavy breathing you hear could be from fear instead of sickness. Maybe someone else with more experience in illnesses can help with that. You can put him in a bowl or bathtub with a low level of luke-warm water and let him soak and drink for 10-15 minutes or so. But be ready because that will also make him poop/pee again. You can also clean his shell while he's in there.

As for letting it go, many will say not to unless you know it was wild caught already. My opinion is for you to either keep it if possible, find a suitable owner who knows torts, or release it if you have no better option. If it is large, it will probably be okay.

You have probably already saved its life from what it sounds like. Thank you for that. :) Keep us up to date on how it is going.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

If the tortoise is healthy, than yes you can release him near the park. :D I would though set-up a temporary pen to get him used to the area. Feed him with the local plants and grasses and in a month or so you can let him go, if all goes well.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow Wildheart!!!! So nice to see you here. I see Danny already answered your question.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a sad story but with your care and generosity, maybe it will have a happy ending! :D

I would love to see photos of this possibly-wild-caught leopard tortoise. How lucky he is to have been brought to you! ;)

Also post some pictures of what South Africa looks like in your neighborhoods. Sounds lovely and exotic to me! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
524946gd84exe262.jpg

to the forum!!

I'd love to see pictures of this tortoise...PLEASE, pretty please???

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Welcome & Thanx for taking in your newly given shelled friend! Thank God he is out of that cold rain! I think Danny's idea of getting him used to the more arid outdoors by introducing him to the native foods, etc., was a super idea.

I doubt if he would be smart enuf to understand the dangers of your swimming pool in your back yard & would suggest that if you plan on keeping him back there, you set up a small wall with cinder blocks or some other such brick.

Keep us updated & blessings ~
Purpod

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Leopard Tortoises float and swim a bit apparently, so the risk might not be that great.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Shelly ~

Well, even if such is the case, unless this is a full grown tort, I don't see how he could get out of a swimming pool & would surely exhaust himself with the swimming & attempts to get out of the pool... just a thought to be considered ~

Have a fine day!
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Purpod: That's usually why dogs drown in swimming pools...being unable to get out and get exhausted. So I imagine it would be the same for the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wildheart said:
I am sorry I posted this in the intro as well. After thinking I realized that it most probable was not the best place to post to get an urgent answer.

I am Afrikaans, from South Africa and have a house next to the Kruger National Park and another house 5 hours away in Johannesburg. We have an abundance of wild tortoises etc. on our property at Kruger and I am only familiar with the wild kind.

Hey Wildheart, Howzit? I lived in the RSA for about 4 months on two different trips. While I was there I had my eye out for tortoises and any other reptiles too. I saw leopards tortoises living "wild" outside in giant pens and in all the game reserves all over the whole country. They were in the Cape National Park way down in Capetown. There was a place down near Hout Bay called the "Bird Park", I think, that had a whole collection of exotic animals as well as a dozens of Leopard tortoises of all ages. They were all housed outdoors with no heat and it was June, cold and frequently raining. We drove from Capetown all the way up to George and back, and there were Leopard torts at nearly every rest stop. So don't worry, they should be fine all the way up in Jo' Berg. Most of the ones I saw down South were the pardalis subspecies, but I did see a few that I thought were babcocki and they were in excellent health in the same environment. It was kind of funny, but early in the morning they were all lined up kind of oddly out in the open. As soon as the sun came up over the hills I understood why they were sitting out in the open like that. They were all lined up in a row in the first place where the sun touched the ground in their yard. Pretty amazing

There are two subspecies. Geochelone pardalis pardalis is the larger, darker, and more cold tolerant of the two. Geochelone pardalis babcocki is the other smaller, lighter colored one from farther North.(I know they've changed the names, but I prefer the old "classic " ones). If you've got pardalis pardalis you shouldn't have any temperature related problems. I'd definitely follow the soaking advice and keep him/her out of the cold and rain at least until you find out which one you've got. Warm soaks and basking lights won't hurt either one. We're all dying to see pics!!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I saw wild Leopard torts on my trip to SA as well. I dont recall where.. It was either Phinda or Kwazulu Natal Area..
Sorry. No pics..
So they are native.. I would call a Wildlife Rescue place near you and see what they recommend. Do they get sick if kept in captivty like Our Dessert Torts do? If released and not well, will infect the wild ones?
A rescue might have others it can go with or they can direct you where to release and how to do it. I hope you cant get in trouble for having it...

wildheart

5 Year Member
Firstly thank you for all your warm welcomes and halo Jacqui!

My daughter told me when I got home that he walked all over the house but did not eat anything. The sun was out when I got home so I placed him outside for a little while. He did not move a lot, I think he was tired of walking all over the house. Last night was the second time now that he squeezed himself in between furniture and the wall and fell asleep. He's got free-roam of the house again today because it is once again rainy.

How many times do they do their business in a day? Do they always leave water marks here and there when they move? Is it healthy and wont he become dehydrated because of this?

Here is the promised pictures and he weighs 9kg = 19.84131 pounds.
20100114_1.jpg

20100114_11.jpg

20100114_10.jpg

20100114_2.jpg

20100114_3.jpg

20100114_4.jpg

20100114_13.jpg

20100114_14.jpg

Both the front legs move when he breaths?

The area by the swimming pool is a problem, I dont know how I can close the pool without driving my husband insane. (He made my iguana room - tunnel - outdoor jungle, dragon outdoor cages, snake cages. He wants to build a bar and a braai but I/we keep him too busy.) I dropped that the tortoise needs a water bath and my husband immediately looked extremely frustrated.

The region where I am from (Kruger) is hot and dry. The temperature is day time 32 - 48+C (89.6 - 118.4) and night 18-23C (64.4 -73.4).

I must say it is a bid frustrating that I will only get answers tomorrow.:p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes it is a male and Stigmochelys pardalis pardalis, (I like the new name :D) so definately a native Leopard tortoise.

Perfectly normal for his front legs to move when he breathes. :)

Danny

wildheart

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Perfectly normal for his front legs to move when he breathes. :)

Danny

Oh wow what a relieve! Is there anyway to tell his age or what other info can I supply to help?

So he is a boy, my daughter called him speedy because he is very fast! How do you tell the difs between boy and girl?

I am going to try the soaking tonight and will take some photos of his first bath.:rolleyes:

wildheart

5 Year Member
Just spoke to my daughter that is looking after Speedy and she says that he did not touch his food. It is now the second day that he did not eat, when must I start worrying? How often do they eat and how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.