Rescued an African Spurred Tortoise- please help

Clorenzo85

Location (City and/or State)
Sylmar, CA
It is amazing what they can survive after you know what’s optimal for them! You are right abou the low wattage RHP and the Kane mat being enough for what you’ve got right now... but..... if your ever planning on upgrading, you don’t want to have to buy this stuff again. You can control the temperatures of both with a thermostat. There are several companies that make good digital ones for <$30.... it will alleviate any fears you have of overheating.

so you're saying that I can't use this as a permanent home for him? he is already 13 years old and only 2 and a half pounds. We live in the mountains and have coyotes roaming around. That's why I don't keep my dogs outside. Of course he'll get time outside but supervised time. I want to buy what I need now and not have to upgrade later. That will cost me more. Should I get a higher wattage and just control the temp with a thermostat?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Donatello's enclosure is 4 ft x 6 ft and 11 inches tall. Where he'll be sleep is (2 ft x 1ft and 4 inches), also 11 inches tall. It's an open enclosure that is in a 9ft length x 11 ft width and 7 ft and 5 inches height room, with room temperature being 75 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tom was advising me to get a radiant heat panel and a Kane Mat. Just unsure of the sizes.

I am thinking that the 40 watt radiant heat panel will be enough and the 18 x18 46 watt Kane Mat will work. What do you think? you're saying that the Kane Mat will be too much for Donatello? he's only about 2.5 lbs.
I have briefly looked. Where did you find a 18×18 kane? Everything I saw was bigger.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
so you're saying that I can't use this as a permanent home for him? he is already 13 years old and only 2 and a half pounds. We live in the mountains and have coyotes roaming around. That's why I don't keep my dogs outside. Of course he'll get time outside but supervised time. I want to buy what I need now and not have to upgrade later. That will cost me more. Should I get a higher wattage and just control the temp with a thermostat?
With Dona
Thank you. Like I said I looked briefly. I think I need to go to tortoise supply first. Instead of surfing lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ultimately it would be great to have a outside enclosure if he gets bigger. But how he was treated before. I am not sure how big he will get. But with coyotes outside you would have to make a night box that you could lock him in at night. Let's see how big Donatello gets in a year. Then you might have a better idea. But if Donatello ever out grows you. Just let me know. I will come get him. He can enjoy the Florida sun.

Clorenzo85

Sylmar, CA
With Dona

Thank you. Like I said I looked briefly. I think I need to go to tortoise supply first. Instead of surfing lol

Tom sent me three links. This was one of them. It's under one his "enclosure threads" I wouldn't have been able to find it or know which one to buy otherwise. There's so much out there and I'm so new at this.

Clorenzo85

Sylmar, CA
Ultimately it would be great to have a outside enclosure if he gets bigger. But how he was treated before. I am not sure how big he will get. But with coyotes outside you would have to make a night box that you could lock him in at night. Let's see how big Donatello gets in a year. Then you might have a better idea. But if Donatello ever out grows you. Just let me know. I will come get him. He can enjoy the Florida sun.

Oh really? you would take him? that's nice of you! so then you're saying that it's best for him to be outside.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Oh really? you would take him? that's nice of you! so then you're saying that it's best for him to be outside.
Well ultimately yes. But they should be 10 in. before thinking about it. I think you might have a different situation. Opo is almost 10 in. so this will be the spring that I will let Opo stay outside. The night box will be locked at night. I dont have coyotes but there are other animals that would get him. If you can get Donatello out as much as you can. That will be good for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Donatello's enclosure is 4 ft x 6 ft and 11 inches tall. Where he'll be sleep is (2 ft x 1ft and 4 inches), also 11 inches tall. It's an open enclosure that is in a 9ft length x 11 ft width and 7 ft and 5 inches height room, with room temperature being 75 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tom was advising me to get a radiant heat panel and a Kane Mat. Just unsure of the sizes.

I am thinking that the 40 watt radiant heat panel will be enough and the 18 x18 46 watt Kane Mat will work. What do you think? you're saying that the Kane Mat will be too much for Donatello? he's only about 2.5 lbs.
The heat mat and radiant heat panel are for an insulated night box. Those won't work for your indoor enclosure.

The CHEs do dry things out, but you need heat. 70 is much too cold. Keep him at east 80 at night. They can certainly survive cooler temps, but its not good for them. That is part of why he's so small at his age. I think your idea of heating the whole room will work, but make sure it is 80 on the floor where the tortoise is. I think it would be much easier and more cost effective to make a large closed chamber. Then, you only have to heat the relatively small space inside the enclosure. Here is an example: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

I would not be surprised if you don’t see a big change in Donatello after living in your upgraded conditions.... 13 years is just a drop in the bucket in the life of a tortoise... I’m not saying this will happen, just that it possibly could. Honestly, I will be watching for your updates to see. I know being a new tortoise parent can be overwhelming at first .... but once you get everything settled, it’s super rewarding.

Clorenzo85

Sylmar, CA
Decided to invest in closing off his enclosure. If he gets bigger, we’ll figure out how to move this outside in a safe area. I get what everyone is saying now about this being a temporary place.

Attachments

• E1AF235D-07DC-4FE9-8F76-7723C3216009.jpeg
    E1AF235D-07DC-4FE9-8F76-7723C3216009.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

Clorenzo85

Sylmar, CA
46F2313E-A144-40AE-AC23-1381E29750FD.jpeg We fixed the screen door in his original tank and bought a 150W CHE lamp for night time. The temps ranged from 80 to 83 degrees F since the tank is deep and has screen cover. The humidity is low though. Still working on it, figured that this is good place for him to sleep for now.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
View attachment 265337 We fixed the screen door in his original tank and bought a 150W CHE lamp for night time. The temps ranged from 80 to 83 degrees F since the tank is deep and has screen cover. The humidity is low though. Still working on it, figured that this is good place for him to sleep for now.
If you cover the screen with foil and wet the substrate, the humidity should increase.