Rescued a leopard tort who seems very sick... new owner!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Baytril - can I say "UGH"? It seems to be the number one and only given antibiotic for reptiles here in Jamaica. It's so important to know enough about something to be able to reach the right decision in a particular case.

Tessa127

Southern CA
Baytril - can I say "UGH"? It seems to be the number one and only given antibiotic for reptiles here in Jamaica. It's so important to know enough about something to be able to reach the right decision in a particular case.

I feel like I should have known about the Baytril, but I didn't realize this little tort was THIS sick. I'm going a bit off track here and seeing what works. Still electrolytes every hour, but now I also juiced several different greens (endive, chard, green leaf, and a few grapes) . Going to try giving that in a syringe every hour mixed with the electrolytes, hoping to get in more nutrients and fiber. Continuing warm soaks. Tort still hasn't urinated or deficated, so I'm a bit worried about that. Still extremely weak. Thanks for all the info and support everyone. It's been a bit help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I feel like I should have known about the Baytril, but I didn't realize this little tort was THIS sick. I'm going a bit off track here and seeing what works. Still electrolytes every hour, but now I also juiced several different greens (endive, chard, green leaf, and a few grapes) . Going to try giving that in a syringe every hour mixed with the electrolytes, hoping to get in more nutrients and fiber. Continuing warm soaks. Tort still hasn't urinated or deficated, so I'm a bit worried about that. Still extremely weak. Thanks for all the info and support everyone. It's been a bit help.
I did not know that these tortoises are allergic to the darned Baytril either!
Anyway, all the best and keep us posted, please, but be careful not to overdo the handling and force feeding...make sure he gets some rest too so he does not get too stressed out, as he must already be!

Tessa127

Southern CA
Hey all!!! Quick update on my little rescue tort. Was doing soaks and carrot soak as well. Saw a different vet yesterday. dewormed, checked for anemia and protein deficiencies, they tube fed her then showed me how. Went home with food, continue eye drops but only once per day. No more bothering her every hour. I let her sleep most of the night.

Today she was a bit perky! I fed her again via syringe. I got her outside for about an hour of sunshine. She actually took about 3 bites of greens and squash! She was very mobile, although I can tell she is very weak. Long soak after coming in. Back in her enclosure. She immediately went to her water dish and drank about 8 big gulps and then gave me a semi solid poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never thought I'd be so happy to say that!!!! Thank you EVERYONE who has given advise, opinions, thoughts, and kind comments. I appreciate everything. Will continue what I'm doing and take it day by day! I know we're not out of the woods, but this is so great!

Tessa127

Southern CA
Oh, and for anyone in the So Cal area, Westminster Animal Hospital is great with exotics. Most of their vets have studied extensively in wild animals and exotics. Very understanding and caring as well.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Hey all!!! Quick update on my little rescue tort. Was doing soaks and carrot soak as well. Saw a different vet yesterday. dewormed, checked for anemia and protein deficiencies, they tube fed her then showed me how. Went home with food, continue eye drops but only once per day. No more bothering her every hour. I let her sleep most of the night.

Today she was a bit perky! I fed her again via syringe. I got her outside for about an hour of sunshine. She actually took about 3 bites of greens and squash! She was very mobile, although I can tell she is very weak. Long soak after coming in. Back in her enclosure. She immediately went to her water dish and drank about 8 big gulps and then gave me a semi solid poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never thought I'd be so happy to say that!!!! Thank you EVERYONE who has given advise, opinions, thoughts, and kind comments. I appreciate everything. Will continue what I'm doing and take it day by day! I know we're not out of the woods, but this is so great!
Yay! Been hoping to hear some good news on your little guy he's a fighter. He had the luckiest break in finding you :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Great job!

Tessa127

Southern CA
UPDATE ON MY LITTLE LEOPARD TORT!!!

Hey there folks... Been busy but just wanted to let you know how the little Leopard tort is going. Vet check up today was positive, but not out of the woods, as torts are slow to do anything. But there's a chance!! After being de-wormed, fecal sample to check to parasites or any other bacterias, it was negative. So, looks like a pneumonia, sepsis from pneumonia, both, along with an overall vitamin deficiency. Ugh. Not to mention it was probably the runt of the clutch.

So, when I got her (her just because) she weighed 144g. she declined pretty quick, almost no movement, no eye opening, nothing. within 2 days she was down to 142g. Not good. First vet was horrible, not knowing torts at all, but electrolytes seemed to get up through the night. Within those days she did not eat, drink and hardly moved.

Fast forward to today. This is our routine after seeing a great vet who knows Leopard torts, and after all the amazing advice from you wonderful tort folks!!! I truly cant thank you enough!

Inside enclosure is 85 at night, up the 95-100 during the day. In the a.m. she gets a powder mix tort diet via syringe for nutrients. Gentomycin eye drops, once in the morning, once at night. vitamin and calcium supplements in the powder mix food. Nice long warm carrot soak. Next a tetracycline antibiotic warm soak. Then back to the inside enclose. fresh food is always offered. A couple different times per day we go outside and get some sunlight, then back in for a warm water soak. Warm soak in the evening and offer more fresh greens.

I've been doing this routine since Nov 9 (fri). Within 24 hours (sat the 10th) she finally took her first HUGE drink of water. so many gulps! And pooped a nice solid poop!! She's been drinking very well on her own since. She started showing interest in food yesterday, and finally today took two bites of dandelion greens! Another poop today too!

Vet check today she weighed 153g! Vet said it's a slow process but keep doing what we're doing! Any other ideas or areas to watch? Still watching her super close, keeping records of everything I'm doing and she's doing. Any comments or suggestions are still very welcome. Thanks all!!!

Oh, we've been calling Daisy, but I think she (or he) needs a fighter name. So far she truly is a little fighter.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Hey there folks... Been busy but just wanted to let you know how the little Leopard tort is going. Vet check up today was positive, but not out of the woods, as torts are slow to do anything. But there's a chance!! After being de-wormed, fecal sample to check to parasites or any other bacterias, it was negative. So, looks like a pneumonia, sepsis from pneumonia, both, along with an overall vitamin deficiency. Ugh. Not to mention it was probably the runt of the clutch.

So, when I got her (her just because) she weighed 144g. she declined pretty quick, almost no movement, no eye opening, nothing. within 2 days she was down to 142g. Not good. First vet was horrible, not knowing torts at all, but electrolytes seemed to get up through the night. Within those days she did not eat, drink and hardly moved.

Fast forward to today. This is our routine after seeing a great vet who knows Leopard torts, and after all the amazing advice from you wonderful tort folks!!! I truly cant thank you enough!

Inside enclosure is 85 at night, up the 95-100 during the day. In the a.m. she gets a powder mix tort diet via syringe for nutrients. Gentomycin eye drops, once in the morning, once at night. vitamin and calcium supplements in the powder mix food. Nice long warm carrot soak. Next a tetracycline antibiotic warm soak. Then back to the inside enclose. fresh food is always offered. A couple different times per day we go outside and get some sunlight, then back in for a warm water soak. Warm soak in the evening and offer more fresh greens.

I've been doing this routine since Nov 9 (fri). Within 24 hours (sat the 10th) she finally took her first HUGE drink of water. so many gulps! And pooped a nice solid poop!! She's been drinking very well on her own since. She started showing interest in food yesterday, and finally today took two bites of dandelion greens! Another poop today too!

Vet check today she weighed 153g! Vet said it's a slow process but keep doing what we're doing! Any other ideas or areas to watch? Still watching her super close, keeping records of everything I'm doing and she's doing. Any comments or suggestions are still very welcome. Thanks all!!!

Oh, we've been calling Daisy, but I think she (or he) needs a fighter name. So far she truly is a little fighter.
Sounds wonderful! Keep up the good work.

Kells Bells

Ireland

I'm so glad to hear she's still fighting. I'm sorry I can't give any advice as I'm a new tort owner myself. As for a fighter warrior name, Boudicca or Xena :D:D

Tessa127

Southern CA
Just remember, tortoise metabolism is very slow. Don't put too much food into her.

Hey there @Yvonne G ... If I didn't thank you for what you sent (I feel like I've been in a whirlwind here), THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I've been doing soaks several times a day still, and all of it seems to be working at the moment. If there's ever a way I can repay you in the future, let me know please. But seriously, thank you so much for you selfless gift and kindness. Means the world ;)