Rescue Russian

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Chili has been very active of late, exploring his new enclosure, eating greens and flowers, keeping an eye on me while I'm working and dipping into an underpot I have in the enclosure for a drink now and then... before he mostly stayed buried.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have a confession to make... Chili is my favorite.

IMG_20200731_140031_745.jpg

I live with five tortoises, all of them arguably more attractive and/or exotic than this Russian rescued from a life of cramped purgatory in a 15G Rubbermaid tote, eating romaine lettuce off of pine chips, with a spotlight above for heat (the way he lived for 20 years before he came to live with me), but he's the one who grabs my eye, captures my imagination, wins my heart.

He's so outgoing, so curious, so eager to explore and adventure and nibble the whole world. He seems so much more engaged, both inside and outside, with his surroundings and with me. He always knows where I am and when I enter the room (or his field of vision if we're outside), and comes over to see what I've got to say, or offer.

He explores with vigor, eats with gusto, farts noisily, poops hugely, sleeps like he's been struck dead in mid-stride... he's the size of a hamburger (with bun) but he lives a much bigger life.

He's always up and ready for my visit when I go down first thing in the morning, and helps me writing by providing just enough visual and auditory distraction to keep me slightly off-balance, which is how I like to write (or at least how I like to feel when I'm writing).

I love all of my shelled children, but if I was forced to make some sort of "house on fire, only time to grab one" Sophie's choice, it'd be me and Chili crying in the ashes of my old existence.

Jamie

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have a confession to make... Chili is my favorite.

View attachment 301893

I live with five tortoises, all of them more arguably more attractive and/or exotic than this Russian rescued from a life of cramped purgatory in a 15G Rubbermaid tote, eating romaine lettuce off of pine chips, with a spotlight above for heat (the way he lived for 20 years before he came to live with me), but he's the one who grabs my eye, captures my imagination, wins my heart.

He's so outgoing, so curious, so eager to explore and adventure and nibble the whole world. He seems so much more engaged, both inside and outside, with his surroundings and with me. He always knows where I am and when I enter the room (or his field of vision if we're outside), and comes over to see what I've got to say, or offer.

He explores with vigor, eats with gusto, farts noisily, poops hugely, sleeps like he's been struck dead in mid-stride... he's the size of a hamburger (with bun) but he lives a much bigger life.

He's always up and ready for my visit when I go down first thing in the morning, and helps me writing by providing just enough visual and auditory distraction to keep me slightly off-balance, which is how I like to write (or at least how I like to feel when I'm writing).

I love all of my shelled children, but if I was forced to make some sort of "house on fire, only time to grab one" Sophie's choice, it'd be me and Chili crying in the ashes of my old existence.

Jamie
He's a great looking Russian Jamie.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully he'll be a Daddy soon. ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member