Rescue Russian, Persephone

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I should try this, a good buff seems to really make the colours shine! I think I read you have your own formula for Tortie shine?

I use a mix of coconut, almond, and olive oils (2:1:1-ish), which seems to work pretty well... most of it rubs off in a few days, but I like the way it looks and it's a part of the ritual of the exam.

Jamie

Zoeclare

Uk
I use a mix of coconut, almond, and olive oils (2:1:1-ish), which seems to work pretty well... most of it rubs off in a few days, but I like the way it looks and it's a part of the ritual of the exam.

Jamie
Thank you im going to give Nitro a polish next weigh day! Your recipe sounds good enough to eat! ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
They are do pretty, oddly enough I can still spot Persephone. Willimeana is a little lighter, and probably less sassy.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Beautiful! She is my favorite Russian tortoise!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
00000IMG_00000_BURST20201227102449299_COVER~2.jpg

Persephone, showing a bit of leg agreed a morning spent tunneling through the substrate in her enclosure and rampaging through the pile of greens I gave her.

I love that chonky back leg and treasure watching her and her roommate, Wilhelmina, explore and dig and hide in their huge stock tank.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Another great shot of Persephone lounging... I swear I don't try to avoid taking pics of the other torts, but she's just always posing for me.

PXL_20201228_171236600.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

She's got a neck like Keira Knightley....

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hive-Mind,

Persephone has been uncharacteristically restless lately, roaming and digging more than usual; in the last few days I've seen what looks to me like nesting or egg-laying behaviors: digging with her back legs to make a depression in the substrate, hunching and lifting and wiggling her butt, then covering and uncovering stuff with her back legs.

I've looked for, but haven't yet found any eggs. She did breed with Chili numerous times this summer, but I had thought that if she was going to lay eggs that it would have been earlier in the fall (although I keep all of their light/heat pretty much the same all year).

My question is: is there anything I should be, could be, doing to help her?
  • more soaks
  • different foods
  • more calcium
  • parental music playlists
Thanks,

Jamie

ZenHerper

New Jersey

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
View attachment 327031

Up-Armored Tortoise

Persephone in Mithril... one of the other torts mentioned that "Winter is coming", and Persephone refuses to take it literally; she's been organizing food and supplies and muttering about a vast army led by an all-powerful echidna that will "swallow us all like a beach before the incoming tide".

#tortlife #tortoisesofinstagram #uparmoredreptiles
#overlydramatictortoisesthatenjoycosplay

Jamie
She would fill the role if TANK perfectly