Rescue of Aldabra giant

Barbiestovall

We are trying to rescue this Aldabra giant. I have lots of questions. It's a sad long story with this guy. He's lived his whole 7 years in a plexiglas box and has NEVER been outside. We live in japan. He is priced so high that nobody can buy him so we started a go fund me campaign. That us the only way we know how to do this. Any help (advice) is appreciated . Any ideas?! Suggestions?? Help!! I feel bad this guy will have to maybe live to 100 in this cage!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 172
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 166

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Where do I start ? Great tort . What are you feeding the tort ? What do torts cost in Japan ? Do a lot of people have torts ?
I would get rid of the pellets and put in some top ( garden ) soil . Give the tort the bottom of a flower pot for water . Feed it some grass and some broud leaf weeds . And most of all if weather permits put him outside for some sun . For starters

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Where do I start ? Great tort . What are you feeding the tort ? What do torts cost in Japan ? Do a lot of people have torts ?
I would get rid of the pellets and put in some top ( garden ) soil . Give the tort the bottom of a flower pot for water . Feed it some grass and some broud leaf weeds . And most of all if weather permits put him outside for some sun . For starters
Grandpa, they do not own this tort. They are trying to purchase him to give him a proper life :)

Good luck guys, I hope you get him!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
OMG....this breaks my heart to read....I really hope this works out for you guys. How sad :( to see that 7 year old tortoise live in that condition. I wish you guys the best of luck!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is one of the worse cases of ignorance I have seen in a while. Is there no animal cruelty/neglect agencies in Japan? I would love to put the human of the tortoise in that cage for seven years. While you are trying to purchase this tortoise, maybe you could try to give them some education on the proper care and enclosure this guy needs, like an outdoor large fenced in yard. Maybe start there, to improve his life while you try to raise funds to purchase him. Is this a pet store he is in? Are you sure they don't bring him home after closing? Maybe try getting them to join TFO and get some education.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

At seven years, my Aldabran tortoises were much bigger than that one, however, his shell growth is pretty smooth for living in such a dry environment. I hope you are able to raise enough money to buy the tortoise. Good luck to you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A large outdoor yard is going to be a little difficult in most parts of Japan. It is a very crowded country.

It doesn't have to be acres and acres, but at least what an average yard in the states would be. Something much larger then what it's in now. If nothing proper or close to proper can be provided then those kinds of tortoises should not be allowed there.

Barbiestovall

Real quick answers now .. I'll post more later. We have huge yard . We have the space. The tort is at a pet shop. Really sad!!! We have been asking them alit if questions we are going back with a friend that speaks more technical japanese than us. ( japanese friend) also the shop told us about a shop that supplies turtles. We went there( his send and unmarked bld) they were obviously surprised two foreigners found it and a bazillion turtle and torts as well as albino hedgehogs birds etc. they said they supply pet shops but we coukd but one there to call them later. They have a baby Aldabra and it's 2000 dollars but they can sell it this age . They had Russian and lots of other. More later . We really want to rescue the one in the pet store but it is priced so high. What do you guys suggest to do ? Are there any organizations that woukd donate to this cause or are we just living in la la land thinking we can save him?!? We def can't buy him unless we get help. We are going to go and try to talk them down in price.

Barbiestovall

Another thing . Nobody takes him home at night....like mentioned by someone , not everyone has big yards here. We do and we are very lucky! We have house with big yard front and back .

Barbiestovall

Does anyone know how to rescue in this situation? If I can't raise funds he will just sit there forever . I just want him out of there. I can't imagine living like that for so long and thinking how long he will live there...sorry if I sound like a crazy lady , I just need suggestions . I've never done anything like this before!!! I thought maybe some organization might be able to help . Why woukd a tort cost do much? Do you think they really want to sell him?!? Why woukd they do that? Price it so high nobody can buy?!? It's WRONG!! They told us that it was because it was no longer imported to japan yet the shop I went to ( middleman) had a baby!!!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,

I contacted my friend who is the Asia Director for an international animal welfare organization. Hopefully he'll get back to me in the next couple of days with some contacts in Japan that might be willing to help. Fingers crossed.