Rescue of Aldabra giant

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
Welcome to the forum! Best of luck in your fundraising efforts! I've seen some of the stupidest ideas get funding on the internet so hopefully your truly worthy cause can get some traction!

Barbiestovall

Fundraising not going well. I know it sounds crazy that a tort cost so much. It's no joke. That is why he is still living in that place. Nobody on earth can afford him. It's part of a bigger problem. We are new to tort world ( my daughter recently saved a Russian ) so we are learning a lot. We went to that shop to find stuff for our tort and I saw this guy still there after 5 years. He is 7. But the last time I visited the store was 5 years ago . So this time, first , I was shocked he was still there, second, that he was so expensive! I still don't understand why it cost so much!?!? So I couldn't not do anything to try to help him. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure something out to help him.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
There is a website called LoveAnimals.org. It's a crowd funding platform specifically for animals. I don't know if it's specific to the USA, though. I'm supposed to talk to the founder in a couple days regarding something else, let me ask her if you might be able to post something for the tortoise...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fundraising not going well. I know it sounds crazy that a tort cost so much. It's no joke. That is why he is still living in that place. Nobody on earth can afford him. It's part of a bigger problem. We are new to tort world ( my daughter recently saved a Russian ) so we are learning a lot. We went to that shop to find stuff for our tort and I saw this guy still there after 5 years. He is 7. But the last time I visited the store was 5 years ago . So this time, first , I was shocked he was still there, second, that he was so expensive! I still don't understand why it cost so much!?!? So I couldn't not do anything to try to help him. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure something out to help him.

This is a species of tortoise that has a high price tag.....not that unusual....beautiful tortoise nonetheless.....

Barbiestovall

There is a website called LoveAnimals.org. It's a crowd funding platform specifically for animals. I don't know if it's specific to the USA, though. I'm supposed to talk to the founder in a couple days regarding something else, let me ask her if you might be able to post something for the tortoise...
My daughter contacted them today. Let me know what you hear! Thank you!! We also contacted a animal welfare agency here, but seems like they mostly take care of dogs and cats..

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Did you post the link for the fund raising? I thought I saw it.
Can you send it to me in a message?

Barbiestovall

if you bought it , wont them just replace it with another to sell ?
I don't know, but what us the alternative ? Let him live like that for 80 + years? In a box?! Never to go outside? I really don't know the answer. If I save him it's bad if I don't it's bad.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know, but what us the alternative ? Let him live like that for 80 + years? In a box?! Never to go outside? I really don't know the answer. If I save him it's bad if I don't it's bad.
In my opinion, if you can take him and give him a better home than do it. but if you can't make his living situation better then he should stay there till someone comes along who can. I hope he finds a good home somewhere soon.

Barbiestovall

We have the perfect place. Huge yard loving people . He will never be purchased at the price he is right now. Most people in japan live in tight quarters. We are lucky we have the space and land. Sad situation . I'm pretty sure if he coukd live with us they woukd not get another one. They also feel bad but as japanese sayings go. Shogani... It can't be helped.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
We have the perfect place. Huge yard loving people . He will never be purchased at the price he is right now. Most people in japan live in tight quarters. We are lucky we have the space and land. Sad situation . I'm pretty sure if he coukd live with us they woukd not get another one. They also feel bad but as japanese sayings go. Shogani... It can't be helped.
How is the fundraising going? I don't really know how those things work. It's great that you have a great place for him. would they consider less money? Or payment plan :)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK, barbiestovall, I just sent you a PM about organizations and agencies that might be able to help, plus some other information that might be useful in securing freedom for this tortoise. Please let me know if you do not receive the message, so I can try again.

Good luck. My fingers are crossed!!!

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
That is inhumane!!! If you decide to raise money, I will gladly make a donation.

Maybe start a Facebook page for him and get a PayPal account. Take photos, tell the story, and fellow tort folks like me would share it, and maybe some would donate to the cause?

ben awes

5 Year Member
This is outrageous and probably all too common. At $10,000 its a near impossibility unless there are laws against it. But a reptile usually does not have many rights. I'm rather shocked the tort looks as good as he does. Is everyone sure he is actually 7 years old and has been in that tank that long? I imagine that if you had $5,000 in cash they might be tempted!

Best of luck! You could raise that kind of money with crowd funding, but you've got to get noticed and become viral.

Ben

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yeah....Any update?? Really hope for the best.!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope this is a real story and the tortoise got saved and not something else. It seems expensive for the area that seemed to usually have cheaper prices then most. An update would be great.