Reputable rescue in So. East Fla

Eileen Turpin

I would like to rehome I will not abandon but I am new to this and each tort has different needs, I bought the Hermans and rescued the Russian. I don't want money but a secure home is essential, if I can't find that I will plunder along praying I can keep them healthy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There may be members here that are both nearby and keep Russians.
Beware of brand new members trolling for a "free" tortoise.
Re post that you have a Russian for sale in Florida in the "for sale" Thread.
If you charge anything at all, you can often avoid getting trolls answering your post.
Sorry. If it were a Redfoot, I could help you.

Eileen Turpin

Thank you I just wanted people to know I wasn't out to make a buck, good or bad I am becoming very attached to him and he no longer hisses at me

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you I just wanted people to know I wasn't out to make a buck, good or bad I am becoming very attached to him and he no longer hisses at me
Most,if not all hissing noises are from a tortoise pulling in it's head and arms quickly. It's the air from the shell rushing out.
If it doesn't pull it's head in all the way, or does so slowly, I think you'll find that there is no hiss at all.
The fact that it isn't hissing as much means that it's figuring out that it doesn't need to be afraid of you and you also bring it food.

Eileen Turpin

I'm working on a another habitat, my Hermans Clyde is a doll, why can't they live in larger habitat together? I see pictures of out door torts in the same space.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm working on a another habitat, my Hermans Clyde is a doll, why can't they live in larger habitat together? I see pictures of out door torts in the same space.
It's not that it isn't done.
You've seen it yourself.
It's that you asked about it and the collective here generally agree that it should not be done. For the reasons already given on many threads.
Different requirements. Different foods. Etc.
As well as a Russians need to dominate.

Eileen Turpin

I back to rehoming him unless I can get bigger habitats. I got her first and though I love Russians I would feel bad.