Repurposed for enclosure

ManicTurt

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfield, CA
I have always admired the enclosures made from different furniture pieces, they just look so good! I decided to give it a try while I have the time. I just started so I will post progress pictures if anyone is interested. I was going to use a large greenhouse, but I decided that I wanted to have something that I could constantly look at. I found a peice of furniture that met an egyptian tortoise size requirement of 4x2 and purchased all safe materials for the project. Being new at this it was kind of a pain but better safe than sorry! Please tell me what you think and any ideas to improve it. I just got it and put a few coats of pond safe liquid rubber over the inside and replaced all the wire with acrylic and aquarium silicone so it would hold more humidity. I will be working on it a lot this weekend so I will have better pictures soon!

Screenshot_20200514-140813_One UI Home.jpg20200526_205114.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's quite a project. I'm interested in following your progress.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
That's quite a project. I'm interested in following your progress.
Thank you Yvonne! It is something I have always wanted to try, but until this point I was too nervous because I wasn't sure what to use. This forum got me the information I needed to do it. ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Super cool! Just a suggestion, if you do 2 levels you'll double your floor space.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Super cool! Just a suggestion, if you do 2 levels you'll double your floor space.
I am trying to measure out a good ramp today actually! I am trying to find a good angle to put the ramp at and how to attach acrylic or egg crate covered in expanding foam on the side so there are no falls. I havnt decided how exactly to do this yet.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
So I have the back and the doors on and put a few extra screws in before using silicone on every crevice. I think the hardest part is waiting for things to dry! 20200529_184251.jpg

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
You may want to add a short piece of wood to the bottom and second story do the substrate doesn't fall out when you open the doors. Love it! You did a fantastic job

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
You may want to add a short piece of wood to the bottom and second story do the substrate doesn't fall out when you open the doors. Love it! You did a fantastic job
Thank you! Absolutely, I am planning another trip to the hardware store soon.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Sorry it has been a while updating this, with work and school I have not been able to work on this much. I an trying to find a way to not be blinded by the led lights. Heading out today to acquire a few materials.
20200710_145857.jpg
15944186603922019880640774141235.jpg

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
So while building this I bought plexiglass barriers, but should I paint them ? Also, what can I make the ramp from the top to the middle out of? Plastic wouldn't provide the traction needed and wood might be a problem with humidity. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I also bought a 3d printing pen that I was going to use for a couple decorations but I wanted to make sure it was safe first.