Reptisun 10.0 T5 thoughts?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so basically im just looking for opinions on the Reptisun 10.0 T5 tube fluorescent bulb

im currently use Arcadia 12% UVB but it's costly and takes a while to come looking to switch to reptisun but wanted opinions on it

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Do you have a solar meter? According to my solar meter 6.5 at 17 inches in a reptisun high output fixture The Arcadia 12% is a four, and the rep the sun 10.0 is 1.9 to 2.5. I have 3 of those bulbs.
The Arcadia would probably rate even higher if you use the Arcadia fixture but I didn't order one of those because I already had these other fixtures.
It took about a week for me to get my Arcadia bulbs in.
What kind of tortoises are you using this for? @Tom can give you some good information.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The 6% Arcadia bulb in the Arcadia fixture rates at a 2.9 from 12 1/2 inches. I don't know if that helps but I threw it out there for you.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Do you have a solar meter? According to my solar meter 6.5 at 17 inches in a reptisun high output fixture The Arcadia 12% is a four, and the rep the sun 10.0 is 1.9 to 2.5. I have 3 of those bulbs.
The Arcadia would probably rate even higher if you use the Arcadia fixture but I didn't order one of those because I already had these other fixtures.
It took about a week for me to get my Arcadia bulbs in.
What kind of tortoises are you using this for? @Tom can give you some good information.

Thanks i'll probably just stick with them then just so costly and takes a while to get to me. i didn't know the fixture mattered? i thought a T5 light in a T5 fixture would be fine? and yes i've already talked to tom he said he didn't have experience with Reptisun i do know that reptisuns are suppose to be kept closer then 17inches away its for a redfoot if that matters at all i know a T5 is a over kill just being safe

i wish i had a UV meter it's something i'll have to save up for

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How far away is the light from the tortoise? For a Redfoot you could use the 6% Arcadia I think. It also makes a difference what kind of fixture it's in, a T5 fixture but also with a reflector. In other words a high output fixture Will increase the UVB quite a bit.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
How far away is the light from the tortoise? For a Redfoot you could use the 6% Arcadia I think. It also makes a difference what kind of fixture it's in, a T5 fixture but also with a reflector. In other words a high output fixture Will increase the UVB quite a bit.

ah im reflectorless right now but it's a 12% at 16 inches above i've been reading a lot of lizard forums talking about the T5 10.0 for bearded dragon's and iguanas they generally talk about keeping them within 10 inches but say it works good.

i just looked at lightyourreptiles.com the 48" t5 fixture and 6% bulb together are 90 and the fixture and 12% are 94 i'll probably just get a whole new hood with whatever light i chose. do you know a alternative source for Arcadia bulbs? if i get a bulb i can buy reflectors for my light as well so i can have a back up

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am just going from what I read on the website, but for a red foot tortoise you might consider the 6% bulb. It is for forest species. They have one that's like 14% for I think iguanas and bearded dragons. I think that's too much for a red foot, I think it's even too much for my Russian. So, just my opinion here and I'm no expert, but I would go with either the 12% without a reflector or the 6% with one.
Yeah, the solar meter is ridiculously expensive, but I've had it for two years now so I figure something you buy for an animal that could outlive you isn't that bad a price.
The people at light your reptiles.com answered my emails with the questions I had. They're very nice and they will help you. Just tell them what you're set up is, type of tortoise size of enclosure distance from light etc. etc. there is a little bit of a sales pitch but hey, they are a business. I think they do give good information though. Send him out an email and see what they say.

Reactions: Tom