Reptile Supply Gold Mines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
So as many of you know, one of the most cost effective and easy ways to get high quality supplies for your torts and turtles is to go to your local home improvement store like Lowes or The Home Depot. They have everything from sphagnum moss and Orchid bark to bird seed and terra cotta saucer bowls for prices that blow away any pet store. What are some of your favorite supplies that can be found at these local gold mines?

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
The best "orchid" bark that I have ever seen that can be used for tortoise is from Waldor Orchids. It is clean and you can buy differen sizes in bulk. www.waldor.com Also you can check out OrchidMall for orchid vendors in your area.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We buy most of our wood, heat lights, cypress mulch, and anything hardware/tortoisde related from the local Lowes.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Cypress mulch 40lb bag for 3.99 at lowes:) and stones from the river on my ranch, and optunia from my neighbors yard......it literally is 8th tall and covers her backyard.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Home Depot sells concrete mixing tubs that make excellent enclosures for juvenile torts. Best of all, they're only $13!

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
I bought a storage bin a few weeks ago that is probably equal to a 40-50 gallon breeder tank in floor space for $15. A glass tank that size would cost over $100!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
One gold mine that often wouldn't be considered are restaurant supply stores.

Usually these types of places require an EIN to gain access. Most will allow you access even if your business is not restaurant related. For those that have that, it is a great resource.

Cheap Bulk food, tubs and containers, and a lot of odds and ends that make tortoise-ing a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.