Reptile Super Show Summer 2010 - Pomona, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
The show went excellently! When I arrived on Saturday morning I was happy to see that Tyler of TortoiseSupply.com was my booth-neighbor. Tom was there helping Tyler and selling roaches. I got to meet Jill and Jeff and a couple other TFO members who mentioned being members but didn't say what their username was.
I had a lot of fun telling everyone about TFO and what great things go on here, and the message was very well received! We missed Candy, Abe, David, and Robyn! Here are a few photos I took from the weekend:

The TFO booth Saturday morning.
1.jpg

Tortoise Supply booth - right next to the TFO booth!
2.jpg

Tyler's hatching sulcatas
3.jpg

Tom's Roaches - the most popular booth at the show!
4.jpg

TFO table
5.jpg

All the reptile people!
7.jpg

We had lots of visitors! And met more than a few TFO Members!
8.jpg

Tom just can't stay off of TFO - even during the show!
9.jpg

The TFO table on Sunday
11.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The photos look great to me, hope tom and tyler sold a lot of roaches and torts respectivily.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
thanks for posting these!!! that TFO banner we made a couple years ago still looks good, I'm glad we choose to make it! Shirts still look clean from the hand-off, and the calendars still look awesome! Great job Josh! I see you brought your tortoise corral to the show, did you teach people how it built it as well? I love the coloring pages, thats a great idea. Did you hand out a million stickers like last year?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Nice pics, Josh. I took a few but they always had something weird in them or someone in the way of something. It was a fun weekend, and Tom is worth at least $7 per hour if anyone needs some good manual labor.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TylerStewart said:
Tom is worth at least $7 per hour if anyone needs some good manual labor.

OoOoOOOooOOoo

then I have personally witnessed him work for about $1,000,000,000 worth of time at his ranch and home! :p

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
TylerStewart said:
Tom is worth at least $7 per hour if anyone needs some good manual labor.

I think he could charge more if he didn't need to check that "Bear Mauls" thread every 3 minutes!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too funny! Thanks for the pics Josh. It was good meeting everyone. For those who haven't met them personally, Tyler and Josh are both great people. I really enjoyed hanging out with them. I'm so glad I found this forum at the last Pomona show in January.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ya know what? I love where I live...but I sure wish I lived closer to Southern California.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Just noticed the caption - indeed Tom was the most busy part of the show. He was more tied up with selling his roaches than I was with the rest of my booth. Maybe if I sprinkle cups of roaches throughout my booth, from a distance, it will look like people are interested in the tortoises.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
emysemys said:
Ya know what? I love where I live...but I sure wish I lived closer to Southern California.

EVERYBODY wishes they lived in SoCal...there's nothing like it...whne I spent those few years in Florida...I kept thinking "DAMN! I miss SoCal!" I'll NEVER leave again! Thanks guys for the review...and for all the pics!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wait a sec, those eggs are hatching sulcatas at the show? Or did I misread?

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Yes they are, Jacqui.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's been days and I still keep thinking about those eggs hatching at the show. Tyler that was great that you took them. So many people never have nor never will get to see a tortoise hatching. What an experience you gave them! :)

Could folks buy an egg? I have said before how I always had wanted to buy a sulcata hatchling, but never did thinking I should get one from a rescue and the back and forth personal debate on if I could care for one correctly. If I had been at the show, I would have been trying to buy one of those eggs. :D I mean how totally incredible and awesome to not only get to raise a sulcata from a hatchling, but to see your own hatchling hatch. The very thought almost blows me away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
It's been days and I still keep thinking about those eggs hatching at the show. Tyler that was great that you took them. So many people never have nor never will get to see a tortoise hatching. What an experience you gave them! :)

Could folks buy an egg? I have said before how I always had wanted to buy a sulcata hatchling, but never did thinking I should get one from a rescue and the back and forth personal debate on if I could care for one correctly. If I had been at the show, I would have been trying to buy one of those eggs. :D I mean how totally incredible and awesome to not only get to raise a sulcata from a hatchling, but to see your own hatchling hatch. The very thought almost blows me away.

This is done with birds regularly. Cory and I were talking about this and he's under the impression that they shouldn't be moved after a week or so, or you risk killing the embryo. Tyler demonstrated that you CAN move them when they are very close to hatching, but does anyone else know how they would fare mid-term?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
The eggs/new babies were not for sale. Several people asked, but the first week is a fragile stage (mostly I try to keep them from running around much in the first week until their belly has absorbed and closed up completely). They need high humidity right out of the egg. The only struggle with them at the show like this is that when they hatch and it's bright outside, they tend to run around, dragging their umbilical around, where if it was dark, they tend to sit still until it's healed up. I ended up packing them into small cups surrounded by a moist paper towel as they emerged at the show. On Sunday, that same cage had a few deli cups with a baby each in them to keep them from tearing the sack they were trying to drag around. The temperatures aren't really a big deal at this point, since they will hatch at room temperature (it just takes longer). When I had some hatching at a show last year, a lady came over and threw a big fit that they were all going to die because it wasn't 90 degrees in there. Shockingly, they all were fine. I kept them between about 75-85 all weekend, so there is no harm done, and every one hatched and did fine. I did this at a few shows last year with no problems, and depending on how it times out, I may have the same thing going on at the Anaheim show this weekend.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Pics are great. I didn't make it to the show this year either. Not sure I will go to Anahiem either. Darn knee. But it looks like you guys had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.