Reptile Super Show Pomona Tips and Guides?

RobP67

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey I hope all was well and everyone had a great holiday season. I was hoping to go to the super show in Pomona on the 5th or 6th. I plan on getting another tortoise, don’t exactly know which yet... was eyeing a marginated, redfoot, or Hermanns, whatever catches my eye ya know? It’s my first show and was wondering to get advice? I know some stuff like to look out for bad conditions, look for the ones that are eating/moving, and ask questions. But what about stuff like should I use cash or card, what to take or leave in the car, can I bring in a backpack, proper etiquettes and asking questions? I don’t want to disturb or offend anyone. Also if I do decide to get a tortoise/turtle, what do the sellers give it to you in? Should I bring a container or tank for the ride home? Also how do I spot a scam, should I look around first then come back? Also last question I know multiple tortoises shouldn’t be kept together but if I do decide to get two different species and have an outdoor enclosure, as long as they are captive bred is it ok to keep together? Thanks in advance and I hope to see some of you at the show!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
-I can’t help as I’ve never been to a show! Ordering a tortoise online from a respected vendor or forum member isn’t a bad idea either. It’s almost a guarantee you’ll receive a well started tortoise. Just a thought, as reptile shows often have a bad reputation.

-And the answer to your question is no. Different species shouldn’t be housed together despite being CB

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In general, I wouldn't buy a tortoise at a reptile show. Too many unknowns, unless you know the breeder/seller. In this case, I think Tyler from Tortoisesupply.com will be there, so that is who I'd buy from. Don't be tempted by other sellers who may talk a good game. You can't look at a tortoise and tell how well it has been cared for. Only knowing the seller and what their practices are can tell you that.

Pomona is going to be so crowded that you'll just have to work your way through the crowd and try to talk to vendors.