1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Reptile munchies

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by jsheffield, Nov 1, 2018.

1. jsheffield

jsheffield Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Westmoreland, NH
    Amazon's algorithm suggested these for me, and they're even available through subscribe and save.

IMG_6952.jpg
    IMG_6954.jpg
    The fruit mix seems good for my redfoot, Darwin.

IMG_6950.jpg IMG_6956.jpg
    The omnivore mix I'll probably do less often or in lesser quantity to avoid giving him too much protein.

At any rate, I tried it today, served on a bed of kale, and Darwin went crazy for it.

I generally have a variety of fresh or frozen stuff for him, but this might make a nice back-up, for when traveling, or for tort-sitters to use for a simpler meal.

Jamie
    ZEROPILOT and vladimir like this.
  2. jsheffield

jsheffield Active Member

Westmoreland, NH
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    He seemed to especially love the rehydrated silkworm pupae ... it was easily as big as his head, but he kept working at it until it disappeared.

Jamie
  3. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    I like using these kinds of things, though I make my own. www.kapidolofarms.com

They both look like good enrichment and the only 'problem' I think is if they bare used too frequently and push the overall diet out of a 'good' range. For redfoots there seems to be much better tolerance for fruit than most other species ( with a few others doing well) but for the most part fruit is to high in carbs.
    ZEROPILOT and jsheffield like this.
  4. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I've used both of those in the past. Also, the dehydrated food/fruit in the little cans.
    Redfoot can eat such a HUGE variety of foods. And will not eat almost nothing.
    These can be great for a treat. Or for example, you run out of things in the house and don't feel like going shopping.....The occasional whole meal.
    My Summertime RF feeding can be up to 75% fruit.
    It would make other species ill.
    jsheffield likes this.