Reptile expo

turtlelady917

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
denver
Just got back from the reptile expo in Denver and I'm kinda bummed. Majority of the animals were snakes, cresties and bearded dragons. There were 2 Russians and a redfoot in the whole show! I really wanted to see some tortoises.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Its always a bummer when a show is so short on turtles and tortoises but seems to be the case most times. Here in my area we are lucky in that tortoise supply normal comes to our local show.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
When Repticon comes here to Atlanta it's the same. Few Russians and maybe one or two Redfoots

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Colorado and Utah (of the Southwest states) don't allow you to sell tortoises small than 4" size at their shows. I used to do the Salt Lake show every year, which is a great show, but they busted 4 of us in 2009 selling small tortoises, so I haven't been back there as a vendor since. I almost signed up for a Colorado show but was told the same thing, nothing smaller than 4" size was allowed. When 90% of what we have available is smaller than 4" size, it just makes those shows hard (impossible) to do without losing money.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Colorado and Utah (of the Southwest states) don't allow you to sell tortoises small than 4" size at their shows. I used to do the Salt Lake show every year, which is a great show, but they busted 4 of us in 2009 selling small tortoises, so I haven't been back there as a vendor since. I almost signed up for a Colorado show but was told the same thing, nothing smaller than 4" size was allowed. When 90% of what we have available is smaller than 4" size, it just makes those shows hard (impossible) to do without losing money.
Thanks for the insight
I almost got In trouble at salt lake show with baby turtles myself

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
To clarify, it was the state of Utah that had a problem with it, not the promoter. We had sold tortoises there a few years prior to getting shut down. I think the state regularly busts local pet stores trying to sell small turtles and tortoises, so when the guys from Vegas and California show up with them at their expo, they called and reported it, and then Fish and Game (or whoever it was) showed up and wrote us up. There's a lot of drama with local reptile people in Northern Utah, seems like they are always telling on each other for everything. Multiple people blamed each other for calling the authorities on us. We ended up getting out of the tickets anyways (the four of us coordinated together to clear it).

My parents have a second home near Salt Lake, so I love being up there and loved doing the show. I have gone back and walked through that show a few times since, just not as a vendor.

turtlelady917

5 Year Member
denver
To clarify, it was the state of Utah that had a problem with it, not the promoter. We had sold tortoises there a few years prior to getting shut down. I think the state regularly busts local pet stores trying to sell small turtles and tortoises, so when the guys from Vegas and California show up with them at their expo, they called and reported it, and then Fish and Game (or whoever it was) showed up and wrote us up. There's a lot of drama with local reptile people in Northern Utah, seems like they are always telling on each other for everything. Multiple people blamed each other for calling the authorities on us. We ended up getting out of the tickets anyways (the four of us coordinated together to clear it).

My parents have a second home near Salt Lake, so I love being up there and loved doing the show. I have gone back and walked through that show a few times since, just not as a vendor.
What do you breed?