Reptile Beginner-Andrea

TheLadyAkita

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hello, my name is Andrea and I would like to start this message off with the fact that I am an animal lover, but acknowledge my complete lack of understanding on how to care for reptiles. I recently discovered that a family member has had a box turtle living in their basement for nearly 20 years and somehow has miraculously survived on only mealworms. (Supposedly she won't eat anything else) In two weeks (after I have acquired all the proper tank, bedding, housing, ect) I plan on bringing her into my home. Obviously the first thing on my agenda will be a vet visit as she has literally algae growing on her shell, and it is deteriorating in some spots. I have a friend who works at a zoo who has given me lots of valuable information, but wanted to reach out to larger crowds as well for more input. At this point I'm panicking a little because I want the best life for her possible given her awful one for so long. I just have a few questions about diet!

If she won't eat because she only eats "moving things" is there a better substitute, and way to ensure she is getting nutrients that she needs?

What are some things that I should start out trying to feed? fruits, veggies, leafy greens ect?

Preferences on calcium additive brands?

Also because of the shell issues I will be keeping her indoors in a 40 gallon aquarium, but will take her outdoors weather permitting for her to have access to the sun, clover, dandelions ect. I have purchased a terra cottage pot bottom as a food dish, large plastic water access, and log hide large enough for her to hide under. I have a blue day bulb with a timer, and ceramic heater.

Any thing else I will need before I obtain her?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She/he desperately needs a UV SOURCE.
Either in the form of sunlight or a strip florescent UV TUBE.
There are box turtle care and food sections here on this forum. But I can not link you to them on my device.
Someone else will be along soon.
Welcome

TheLadyAkita

Illinois
She/he desperately needs a UV SOURCE.
Either in the form of sunlight or a strip florescent UV TUBE.
There are box turtle care and food sections here on this forum. But I can not link you to them on my device.
Someone else will be along soon.
Welcome

The blue lights I bought say they provide UVA lighting, and I was told only to allow this for 12 hours a day 8-8 and then leave the ceramic heater on all the time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The blue lights I bought say they provide UVA lighting, and I was told only to allow this for 12 hours a day 8-8 and then leave the ceramic heater on all the time.
UVA lighting grows algea.
Your turtle needs UVB for calcium and D3 absorption for his bones and shell.

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Here's a nice article to read when you have a box turtle that is a picky eater:

TheLadyAkita

Illinois
Hi, and welcome!

Here's a nice article to read when you have a box turtle that is a picky eater:

This post is amazing! Thank you so much!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That's a great article Yvonne....Try berries... box turtles LOVE berries. Remember tough love...she can only eat what YOU give her. She needs 100% different care...gonna be hard...but good for you..071.JPG.

TheLadyAkita

Illinois
That's a great article Yvonne....Try berries... box turtles LOVE berries. Remember tough love...she can only eat what YOU give her. She needs 100% different care...gonna be hard...but good for you..View attachment 286623.
I plan on updating about her progress and any other issues I come across, but know she needs to rescued. I will get some berries for her when I go to the store for the remainder of her supplies!