Reptifogger...

Squishers

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hey all, I have browsed the forums since I got my little red foot back in September. I feel like the worst tortoise owner in the world. My poor tort is starting to pyramid and in some spots it seems pretty bad. I have had a mister but it gets it too wet, and the guy at the pet store said that having it too wet would be worse than too dry because of shell rot. For a while the humidity was at 50-60 percent, which I know is ridiculously low. Daily soakings didn't combat this, and now I'm on to a different method. The humidity the last two weeks has been about 70-75, but I'm going to try using a reptifogger instead of a mister. I'm not sure if it will work, but I bought one online, and if it works good I will invest in making a custom humidifier that will be more reliable.

My question is this, do reptifoggers work all that well? I don't know what to do at this point. I feel so guilty that Squirt is pyramiding so soon and she is only 10 months old. She is growing at a good steady pace, and she is healthy other than the pyramiding.

Another question is, if I get it under control now will it still get worse? I know that it is not reversible, but I'm hoping that I can prevent Squirt's shell from continuing to pyramid. Any advice would be great, thanks.

P.S. My tort's diet has been approved by our exotic vet, and the temps in Squirt's enclosure stay at 85-90 degrees F.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a closed chamber, not a fogger. There is no way to maintain the correct temps and humidity with an open top.

This care sheet is not for RFs, so when you read it, you'll have to mentally omit some of the info. You don't need a basking lamp for a RF, but the enclosure info applies. I think much of this info will be helpful:

Squishers

Michigan
You need a closed chamber, not a fogger. There is no way to maintain the correct temps and humidity with an open top.

This care sheet is not for RFs, so when you read it, you'll have to mentally omit some of the info. You don't need a basking lamp for a RF, but the enclosure info applies. I think much of this info will be helpful:

Awesome ,thanks for the info! I have Squirt in a glass enclosure with a screen lid, and I wonder if I just have too hot of a heat lamp. I have a 100w because that is the only thing that can keep the enclosure warm enough in the summer. 75w wasn't getting it past 80. Whenever I turn the enclosure off to take my tort out the humidity jumps up to 85.

I got a wood enclosure for her, and I can turn one end into a humid hide since it has an enclosed hinged top on that side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Awesome ,thanks for the info! I have Squirt in a glass enclosure with a screen lid, and I wonder if I just have too hot of a heat lamp. I have a 100w because that is the only thing that can keep the enclosure warm enough in the summer. 75w wasn't getting it past 80. Whenever I turn the enclosure off to take my tort out the humidity jumps up to 85.

I got a wood enclosure for her, and I can turn one end into a humid hide since it has an enclosed hinged top on that side.
Neither of those enclosures is suitable, as you are seeing. Here is an example of what you need: