Repti Fogger dangerous?

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
I purchased a repti fogger to use with my hatchling three told Boxturtle to help keep the humidity up in his tank.

I noticed while I was inside his tank cleaning and it turned on that it was getting hard for me to breath because of the vapors.

Has anyone ever heard of a turtle suffocating because of the Fogger?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No. I used one of those but returned it. It only last a couple weeks and then pooped out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lots of people use them. I have never heard of one doing damage or harming any reptile. Are you sure it is just plain clean water in it? Might it have been "spiked" by a wayward child or roommate?

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Ya I use bottled water as the instructions recommend to avoid mineral build ups. And it runs on a timer so that it is not on all day.

My turtle acts normal and it does help keep the humidity levels even.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I use one in my baby redfoots cage. It seems to keep humidity at 80 even when only half way. I don't see any harm effwcts

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do you have any breathing problems? The reason I ask is because if you have, for instance, asthma, sometimes the steam produced from the fogger can trigger shortness of breath. If you feel that the tort is receiving too much fog, use the lowest setting. Otherwise, using distilled water in the machine is what you should be using. Any bottled water won't do; it has to be distilled water.

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
I'm using one for my hermann's tortoise. Don't know if he even needs it but I want him to have a humid environment to live in. He seems to love it, he'll sit in front of it sometimes and just stares at the fog.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Foggers were used extensively in the Amphibian section of the 'reptile house' at the Philly zoo, and over time it was determined that distilled water, no mineral content at all, was best. Even bottle waters can/do have mineral content.

Most stores carry distilled water for the few people who still iron their laundry at home, as irons and mineral content also don't mix well.

As long as you go to the effort to use bottled water, you might make sure to get distilled water, in a one or 2.5 gallon jugs it is the same cost or even less expensive than many other bottled waters.

The minerals in the water become 'vapor' due to the ultrasonic mechanism in the newer humidifiers, and that mineral content can settle in animal lungs. As tortoises are such long lived animals and the neonates in chambers don't have as much air turnover as those that might find a humid hide in the wild, it may be even more important to use distilled water in ultrasonic vaporizers/humidifiers.

FYI
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/humidifiers/HQ00076/NSECTIONGROUP=2