Repti bark found in poop

Bo's Mom & Dad

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, B.C.
Hello All!

My 6 month old marginated tortoise likes to dig around in his repti back and his head gets in there quite deep. I assume he is just curious and digging around because that's what they do. Maybe even having a bit fun. But I guess he has been eating some because I recently found some of the repti bark in his poop..

He is quite active and has a solid appetite.
He likes to drink his water and we give him 15-20 min soaks every other day. He has a varied diet of weeds and organic spring mix with some multi vitamins once or twice a week, so I'm not sure if he is lacking something that the bark might give him.

My question is, should I be concerned that he eats reptibark once in a while? Does it damage his insides as it passes through?

Thank you all in advance!

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
I know that reptibark would potentially cause blockages if ingested so if he is definitely eating it, which if you found some in his poo he obviously is, or at least did accidentally, I'd look at switching substrates personally...
I'm sure more advice will be along shortly but I'd imagine it will be the same as what I've said.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, I would switch substrates.
Also with any substrate feed on a flat plate or piece of tile.
Be sure to be feeding enough that s/he isn't getting hungry. Food should be available all day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello All!

My 6 month old marginated tortoise likes to dig around in his repti back and his head gets in there quite deep. I assume he is just curious and digging around because that's what they do. Maybe even having a bit fun. But I guess he has been eating some because I recently found some of the repti bark in his poop..

He is quite active and has a solid appetite.
He likes to drink his water and we give him 15-20 min soaks every other day. He has a varied diet of weeds and organic spring mix with some multi vitamins once or twice a week, so I'm not sure if he is lacking something that the bark might give him.

My question is, should I be concerned that he eats reptibark once in a while? Does it damage his insides as it passes through?

Thank you all in advance!
Incidental ingestion is normal with any food. O bark won't hurt them as it passes through. I see this all the time in my tortoises.