Reptariums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
Has anybody heard of these? My friend is remaking his Russian Tort cage and was looking into these. Anybody ever used or have experience with them?

Here's a link to the site.
http://www.reptarium.com/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of them look to be tall. Russian tortoises require plenty of walking space, the more the better. An aquarium or reptarium just isn't suitable. A full grown Russian needs at least a 4 shelf book case. But even better yet, an outdoor pen.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, they can. They make trays for them both the long way and the tall way.

The 260 laid on its side would be big enough, I think. 71" long by 30" wide.

PTzFinest97

5 Year Member
I was thinking it would be big enough if it was laid in its side.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think these are very cool, but most of the liners aren't deep enough to provide substrate for a digging tort. Also, they are expensive. If you have pets, don't rely on these to keep your tort safe as the material is very thin and a cat for example could tear through it. Laying one down would be suitable for a hatchling, but too expensive since it couldn't be used for long (they don't make them too big from what I read). I do like to provide my tort more space than others think is required though...

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
PTzFinest97 , Hi, I did use one of these for my two beardies. They can come with what's called a soft tray, that can hold substrate, but as someone said above it is not that deep. The other thing is like tortoisenerd said, it is thin, and I came home one day to find a big hole dug through, by my dog to get to the veggies. (So happy he wasn't interested in eating bearded dragons!!!!)Another drawback is, it was difficult to get up to temps, especially in the winter months here. (New England)
I did like it for it's openest, but it did have some drawbacks. I wrapped three sides in black plastic to keep in the warmth. I also had to string some supports across the top, because I used it on it's side and it wasn't really built to hold lights that way. But again that was a pretty quick fix.
One final thought, you had to really stretch to reach the back on it's side and it is made with plastic pipes, that you had to be careful not to break if you were pretty short, so if the little buggers were way in the back corner it was hard.
Just my experience.
Na

Status
Not open for further replies.