Report on the NW Captive Breeders Expo, Puyallup WA 10/17&18/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Last weekend was an awesome expo in Western Washington. It was my first year going. Sorry, but no pictures. :( We only looked at the torts anyways. Mostly hatchling Sulcatas and Redfoots, about equal amounts. Sulcatas went fro about $50 while Redfoots were about $100. A few hatchlings Greeks and Russians. A few adult Greeks, Russians, and misc (Boxie, Hingeback, Marginated, and one I forgot the name of). Lots of cheap supplies. One 12 year old Sulcata that peed on hubby. hehe Hubby really wanted a baby Sulcata, even more than I did actually. It was my first time seeing any hatchlings except Russians (and only my Trevor). We spent a lot of the day talking about him and impressed some breeders that we went CB. I liked that was the "theme" of the show.

Best find of the day was a huge $5 container of organic edible flowers. Think take out box huge...compared to a higher price for a dozen flowers at my supermarket. Got an XL half log for $10, a CHE for $20, and a fun t-shirt.

It was sad to see how bad the breeders wanted to get rid of the torts. I was surprised how friendly the little ones are considering there would be a dozen in a little container under a light with no hides on pellets. None of them suck their head in when we picked them up! Everyone assumed we were back to buy one when we did a second round of all the booths, but we just wanted to see torts as 80%+ of the show was snakes (ick!), lizards, etc. We visited the baby mice and wishes them well before they became snake food. A chameleon ate a bug over a foot and a half away from him. Never seen that before.

Taught my hubby how to sex torts. He thought it was so cool. He talked torts all day and showed off all his knowledge, such that Sulcatas start tiny but get huge. It was funny to listen to all the tort newbies ask how big a Sulcata gets, are they easy to take care of, etc. Hope no one made any dumb decisions that day, but only so much you can do. On breeder was trying to convince us a Sulcata can do just fine in an apartment for its whole life, and you can just put a diaper on it. Totally don't believe that. Another one was convinced a Sulcata had to stay above 70 degrees at all times. Bob and others are evidence to how that isn't true, as long as they have a place to warm up. Missed you Maggie! I told a Bob story and thought of you.

Looking forward to going back next year if we can make it! $7 entrance fee each, but we saved about that on the goodies so we were even, plus a fun hour and a half. It was raining but we just missed it between our entrance and exit.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I was pretty surprised how big it was. Wasn't expecting much really as I've heard this one can really vary year to year.

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It was a good show. It was the first time I saw gila monster and beaded lizard so closed. For tortoises, there was only one real tortoise breeder there, the place you bought flower. Most of the other "breeders" were just bought from other true breeders.

Scott

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Ah ha Scott, that makes sense to me actually as many didn't seem that up on their game and seemed more salespeople than breeders. An exception is Deer Fern Farms though as I'm familiar with their good reputation and had a great conversation with a dude there. Did you have a booth, or just a visitor? Live in the Seattle/Tacoma area or did you travel far?

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was there to help my buddy, PNW Turtleworks.

Did Doug say he breed those sulcata and redfoot? I don't think he does, but I might be wrong. He had lot of cool uromastyx and chuckwalla, but I did not see his cb russian or greek this year.

I am in the Seattle area. Did you join STTC?

Scott

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I did not hear him say he bred them. He said that Russians and Greeks get sold much earlier in the season. Now that you mention it, the person I spoke with (not sure of his name) did speak in very general terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.