Report On Spider Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Hi all! I am doing a report on Spider Tortoises for school and would like some facts. Just random, yet knowledgable, facts :) Like how much they typically weigh (in pounds) how long they usually get (in inches) And all that fun stuff. And just random facts. By the way, how much do Spider tortoise's usually go for? Like how much do they usually cost? Just in case a certain person would like to get one in the future ;) :D Also, I would't mind if you included a picture of some Spider tortoise's in your reply ;) Thanks TFO :) Also, I might type out a paper (because I was going to make a board) And if I do, I'll post it here for all to see :D And And if you don't mind, I would like to use pictures of your spider tortoise's :) They would go no further then my house (because I am home schooled) so if you post a pic let me know if it would be ok to use it, or if you would like it to remain on TFO :) Thanks TFO!!!! :D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I don't have any photo's up on this forum yet, but I can get some to you. My email is [email protected], and you can feel free to email me if you like. I can send you a few photos.

The best and only care sheet I know of is that of Dr. Bill Zovickian. It is brief, but it does detail the little intricacies that make Spider ownership interesting and challenging at times. Here it is: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/pyxis.html

Remember there are two Species in the genus Pyxis, and the Spider Tortoise (Pyxis arachnoides) has three subspecies (oblonga, brygooi, and arachnoides) Decide on if you want to present all four, or just Pyxis arachnoides, or those the subspecies and explain their differences, then you will know how detailed you will want to go into on the report, or for each section.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
This is some things extracted from my own research on spider tortoises. :D
Physiology:
Note: the notes on physiology are from the Turtles of the World website, with a few modifications for me to easier understand.
The carapace (to 15 cm) is rounded dorsally. Each dark brown or black vertebral and pleural has a star-like pattern consisting of a yellow center from which extend several rather broad rays (usually 6-8 on each vertebral, 4-6 on each pleural). The nuchal scute is often absent, but when present is long and narrow. The neural bones are either octagonal or squared. The plastron is hinged, allowing the forelobe to be raised to almost close the anterior portion of the shell. The hindlobe is posteriorly notched. The plastral formula is: abd > gul > pect > hum >< anal >fem. Plastral pattern varies from totally yellow to having some dark blotches at the bridge. The maxillae lack a median ridge (ridge on them middle), but the sides of the upper jaws are serrated. The quadrate does not enclose the stapes (earholes), and the anterior (greater) palatine foramina (blood vessel on the bottom of the mouth) are large. The head is black with some yellow speckles. Neck vertebrae are odd in being either totally procoelous (concave near the back of the neck) cervical vertebrae or with the second vertebra (spine fused to the neural scutes) biconvex (outwardly curved), only a rare anomaly in other turtles. Limbs and tail are yellowish brown. The tail is not noticeably flattened. Males have longer, thicker tails with a more developed terminal spine. Females are, on average, larger than males; mean carapace length 12.2 cm in females, 11.6 cm in males.

Distribution:
The spider tortoise is endemic to the arid coastal regions of southwestern Madagascar, 20 km from the coast. The species inhabits a miniscule coastline range that measures 555 km by 10 km, stretching from Morombe to the Amboasary region. Poaching and habitat destruction has destroyed 71% of the remaining forest cover. The 3 subspecies (p. a. arachnoides, p. a. brygooi and p. a. oblonga) are geographically divided, with the are geographically divided, with the brygooi subspecies occurring in the most northern part of the range. The brygooi subspecies has 3 separate and fragmented populations covering approximately 500 square kilometers. The arachnoides subspecies occupies the largest and most geographically central range while oblonga is the most southerly subspecies, with a severely fragmented population and lack of up-to-date, comprehensive distribution and range data.

Habitat:
P. arachnoides inhabits the dry, arid and semi-arid coastal forests and spiny deserts comprised of sandy soil and low-lying vegetation dominated by succulents and thorny scrubs. It favors habitats of 30%-50% canopy cover as it’s dependent on thermal regulation.

Natural history:
Spider tortoises are most active during the wet season in the months of November to April. In this time period the vegetation becomes lush and tortoises are able to feed on grasses, young leaves, succulent roots and insects. They have also been documented to search zebu feces for insect larvae. When the dry season approaches in April they bury themselves in sand and aestivate, an adaptation to conserve energy and moisture in the colder and drier months when food and water are scarce.
They take advantage of the rainy season by mating as soon as it begins, with a single egg being laid. In captivity however, they’re known to lay three times a year. The eggs are incubate for 220 to 250 days before hatchlings measuring no larger than 4.5 centimeters emerge. The tortoises reach maturity at 6 to 7 years and are estimated to have a life expectancy of 70 years.
Like the Madagascan big headed turtle, it shares its range with the Madagascan dwarf gecko (Lygodactylus madagascariensis), the Antafia sportive lemur (Lepilemur aeeclis), and the critically endangered Dypsis nossibensis.

Here's some threats + conservation facts if you're interested.
Threats:
This elusive species has been listed as Critically Endangered. A recent survey of the population has determined that only 8 populations remain and that the northern subspecies, p. a. brygooi has declined by 90% in numbers and is extinct in 50% of its historical range. Only 4 populations of the northern spider tortoises exist and of these, only 1 remains at a reasonably high density. The decline of these tortoises has been the result of habitat destruction poaching, hunting. A sensitive species to habitat loss, their fragmented habitat is destroyed at a rate of 1.2% per year, and given that 71% of the original habitat is gone, this causes a massive impact on remaining populations. 21-50% of the xeric habitat has been destroyed from 1970 to 2000. The main causes for deforestation are tavy (slash and burn), charcoal production, firewood and construction exploitation and invasive alien flora. The increasing population and extreme poverty in the areas in which the spider tortoise inhabits will only serve to put more pressure on existing populations, especially the arachnoides and oblonga subspecies.
Compounding the threat of habitat loss is poaching for the illegal pet trade. From the 1990’s to 2004 it has been a targeted species for the international pet trade before being placed on CITES Appendix 1. So far, the northern subspecies has suffered the most due to its small size and attractive carapace pattern that make it a very desirable species; in 2001 one trader in the Comoros sold 10 000 specimens. There is still demand for it in North America, Europe, Southeast Asia, China and Japan. The prices it can fetch ($1000 U.S.) and the lack of security and political instability in Madagascar drives the unsustainable trade. Due to the lack of resources and poverty in the area, spider tortoises are hunted by the Mikea tribe, especially the northern populations. A local “tortoise mafia” is also on the attack, eating and smuggling the species for the markets in Southeast Asia and China. Local villagers look positively towards spider tortoises and believe that eating one will result in death. The impoverished Mikea tribe however, do not believe in such superstitions and seek out spider tortoises, as eating one in a land of such little resources can spell the difference between life and death. A common cooking method is to “microwave” the tortoise in heated sand for 20 minutes and then proceeding to slurp out the innards. Despite good village intentions to stop the Mikea tribe, hunting still occurs and in places over 80 burnt remains have been found. Even fishermen have resorted to eating spider tortoises due to the lack of fish on degraded coral reefs. The reproductive capacity is low, even amongst tortoise standards.

Conservation:
The Critically Endangered spider tortoise is protected by national law in Madagascar and listed on Appendix I of CITES, which prohibits international trade in this species. The spider tortoise’s occurrence in two protected areas (Lake Tsimanampetsotsa National Park and Cap Sainte-Marie Special Reserve) offers some much needed protection, but owing to a lack of resources within the protected areas system, habitat destruction and poaching still continues. A new population has been discovered in southwest Madagascar, known as a Shangri-La, due to the high population densities. Scientists speculate that this may be the area with a density as high as the time before humans started interfering. A study in January 2012 has revealed a density of 19.8 tortoises per hectare, a density almost 10 times the average density for the species as a whole, and almost 20 times for the northern spider tortoise, pyxis arachnoides brygooi. It’s the last stronghold for the northern spider tortoise and the species as a whole. The tortoises are studied every 6 weeks over the course of a year, and the sex, size and age of every tortoise is recorded. Juveniles are plentiful at the site, comprising almost 60% of the population. These gains however, aren’t enough. There is still need for stricter measures to protect its habitat, and the implementation of education programmes to try and protect this tortoise from hunting. These measures, in addition to ensuring that populations of all subspecies are represented within protected areas, are essential if the long-term survival of the spider tortoise is to be assured.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi TortoiseBoy1999,

So, how did your teacher respond/react to your interest in chelonians? Way way back, when I was in school, it was often treated like I was strange or odd, for perhaps among other things :) my interest in reptiles and especially chelonians. One teacher was an exception, and made my interest in chelonians a bridge to many other things she was teaching, like reading and writing. But for the most part it was seen as an affliction, not a "healthy" interest.

Will

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Will said:
Hi TortoiseBoy1999,

So, how did your teacher respond/react to your interest in chelonians? Way way back, when I was in school, it was often treated like I was strange or odd, for perhaps among other things :) my interest in reptiles and especially chelonians. One teacher was an exception, and made my interest in chelonians a bridge to many other things she was teaching, like reading and writing. But for the most part it was seen as an affliction, not a "healthy" interest.

Will

Well, seeing as I'm home schooled, my parents are my teachers. So they greatly support me in my interests for tortoise's :) They encourage me to work hard at my goal to breed them and everything else! :D And yes, my love for tortoise's does bleed into my other subjects :p Like I write about them in my creative writing, or I do projects sometimes on them (like this one) in science. Or other stuff :) So, to some up your question, I am greatly supported in my love for tortoise's :D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Anthony P said:
That's great! Maybe you can study herpetology like so many of us wished we had!

Actually I would like to be a doctor. Either an Allergist or Pediatrician :p Keeping tortoise's is more of a side hobby for me. My mane goal is to be a doctor. But at the same time we never know what god has in store for us ;)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Home schooled. When I was in graduate school, sometimes there was this really young girl in the lab running experiments. I talked to her about what she was upto. She was studying the feeding behaviors of some microscopic carnivore that looked like a hydra, but was not. She taught them to differentiate between small plastic beads, which they took for food, from actual prey. She then further developed some microscope techniques to monitor the whole system. She was 14, home schooled and really made the grade curve that bit tougher for the 'regular' students. I might be glad you were not there too. Will

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Actually I would like to be a doctor. Either an Allergist or Pediatrician :p

Well, if you end up being an allergist, you could 'sell' people the fact that tortoises are hypo-allergenic! :tort::cool:

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Tortoiseboy1999 just curiosity y am I on your ignore list?? If u just don't wanna talk bc u don't like me it's ok....... ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.