Remote owner - your help please

BShellshock

Location (City and/or State)
Hook
Hi I'm B and I am a Remote Tort Owner - Parents retired to Ireland from UK. There are 2 torts called 'The Girls'. I have now inherited them. They are in Ireland and I'm in UK. I am looking at paperwork now needed to bring them home due to brexit - nightmare!. Always been in my life (I'm now 55!) but I have no idea of what type or how old they may be.... can you help?

Attachments

• IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210330-WA0001.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20210330-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210330-WA0000.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 26

Grace-Sophia

Texas
They look like Hermann’s to me!
Any body else?
DO You need any other help? There is not really a way to tell the age of a torotise other than history, how long did your mom have them? And how old they were when she got them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No way of telling their true age. What age did the parents get them and how long have they had them? If they were wild caught add at least 5 years. If hatched in captivity then what size were they when they were bought? Guesses is about all we can do. Less blurry pics would be needed.
However, unless you have a giant yard for them to live in or a big room for an enclosure, they should not be housed together. If they are both females then you probably can get away with something smaller. Be very diligent on watching their behavior when you get them. The way they look in the pic I would say one is always following and bothering/bullying the other. A move can make this worse.

BShellshock

Hook
No way of telling their true age. What age did the parents get them and how long have they had them? If they were wild caught add at least 5 years. If hatched in captivity then what size were they when they were bought? Guesses is about all we can do. Less blurry pics would be needed.
However, unless you have a giant yard for them to live in or a big room for an enclosure, they should not be housed together. If they are both females then you probably can get away with something smaller. Be very diligent on watching their behavior when you get them. The way they look in the pic I would say one is always following and bothering/bullying the other. A move can make this worse.
Crikey! Where to start. One tortoise was bought from a garden centre around 45 years ago..it wasnt a baby tort even then..that is leading tortoise. The other lady was passed on by a neighbour so they could be company for each other- some git had drilled a hole on edge of shell so she could be tethered!! They have been together for 30 odd years and seem to deal with each other... Speedy the original one has always been more active and leading the way. I am ashamed to say that whilst they have always been in family I have very little knowledge re tortoises. I will research more into Hermanns? any suggestions on starting pace for useful idiots guide to Torts?! I dont think Guide for Dummies have covered tortoises yet. They are family so I want to keep them safe and well. B (uk)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. It seems obvious already that my knowledge starts and ends at spelling the word 'tortoise'! Until I sort out passports, I am not even in the same country! B(uk)
Don't worry, we have all the help and info you need on this forum. It's the only place that has correct info too
Plastron is bottom shell, carapace is top shell.
I would guess by what you do know of them, they are both between forty and fifty would be your safest guess.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Sorry but....plastron? Will go and google it now. Thank you
You are on a journey like no other. Welcome to the forum. Questions are welcome, and we love photos!! There are many forum members in the UK. There are some threads on site about shipping torts internationally.

If you have now "inherited" your parent's torts & have lost your parents, I am so sorry. We are here to support you in your journey.