Reliable staple for a Greek tort

Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi
What's a healthy, easy to acquire, and reliable staple food for a Greek tort? And before anyone suggests anything that i have to grow myself or is relatively obscure, please don't. I live in a desert climate which is hostile to anything and everything that isn't called "cactus" or "date palm" (seriously, the blazing 125 degree heat is the only reason i have an indoor enclosure), and I've yet to see any collard greens, mustard greens, endive, and other commonly mentioned plants in any supermarket I've been to. Any suggestions?

Abu Dhabi
Not exactly. The climate in abu dhabi is sometimes humid, but usually dry, searing heat. I'll check out the link though

Abu Dhabi
Now that i think about it, can i implement hay (especially timothy and orchard grass) into the diet? finding it isn't too big of a deal, full of fiber, stores easily, can be supplemented with dandelions and the occasional hibiscus, am i missing any downsides?

Abu Dhabi
Coriander and parsley aren't challenging to find either. can i just use a mix of everything i mentioned, with the occasional treat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The grass hay might not be well accepted by a Greek tortoise. They mostly seek out the broad-leaf weeds and plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My friend, Google, tells me that these edible plants grow in Abu Dhabi:

Amaranth
Kulfa (purslane)
Bok Choy
Roquette
Kohlrabi
Malabar

I'm sure the store must sell greens. What kinds of greens can you find in the produce section of your markets?

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m not familiar with greens sold in your markets but if you list a few that are easy to find people may be able to provide insight as to safety.

daniellenc

Maryland
Rocket and watercress and lettuces of all sorts will be loved!! My store bought mix has cilantro and parsley which mine frequently ignores but eats sometimes. Spinach is fine in moderation and I’m sure even in your desert area seasonally things pop up which are safe. I knew nothing about weeds when I got Skurt. It took me months to realize I had rose of Sharon in my yard and a year to learn one of my trees was in fact mulberry....face palm. My point is you probably have natural stuff growing you don’t know is food yet. There is a section for plant id here and many plant Id apps like Picture This which really helped me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can offer all of that to your Greek tortoise. The rocket and the darker lettuces would be a good base.

Abu Dhabi
Outside of the stores, dandelion and cat's ear are common, and purslane is literally everywhere, but the problem with purslane is pesticides. they're also everywhere except between buildings (which is where clean catsear and dandelions grow)

daniellenc

Maryland
Yes mix it up everyday. I grab what I find outside, mix with store green mixes, and add veggies I have on hand. Variety is key!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think a lot of people overlook zucchini because it isn't "greens." I see nothing wrong with using zucchini weekly in the diet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I would go easy on the herbs; because the smell is so strong, it may throw a tortoise off whatever it’s mixed with. Not to say never offer them, just not too much until you see if your tortoise has a taste for them. Same goes for celery leaves.

I feed my Russian the tops of green or spring onions on occasion; she loves them, so long as it’s young growth. She loves chives as well.

Does anyone you know grow grapes at all? There are grapes grown in some desert climates but I don’t know about an area so intense as yours. If so, leaves are a good food with plenty of fiber.

It’s not clear to me from your first post that you know cactus is an amazing tortoise food? I think so, but want to be sure. :)

Abu Dhabi
Grape leaves are actually used as food for people here (stuffed with rice and meats) so they're easy to acquire.
Any specific type of cactus?