Rehoming

CowboynCharlie

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach
Hi all! I unfortunately need to rehome my two adult male Sulcatas. Both are 6yrs old approx 80-90lbs. Due to unexpected changes I sadly need to find them each a loving new home. I live in Carson California. They can’t be kept together, so would prefer to adopt separately. They are brothers but they fight! Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you may have.

CowboynCharlie

Long Beach
Thank you! I am willing to transport tho, depending on the distance...I would be happy to do so, would hate to ask someone to make the trip if they were interested.

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
Are you still looking for a home? I may be interested (in one), depending on your timeline- I need to upgrade my heated hide situation to a larger. I'd be interested in hearing any observations on individual behavior/personality, pictures, or some information on your current housing/care. I'm in Northern California, though occasionally make the trip south. Feel free to message me. So sorry you have to rehome, that's so hard.

CowboynCharlie

Long Beach
I do still have both tortoises,dragging my feet in rehoming as I’ve had them since they were hatchlings..But my situation has changed and eventually I will be leaving where I am at,probably in a year, don’t want to wait until the last minute. I want to try and be as sure as I can that they are getting a good home,so I’m not in a rush.I will have to get some pics together.As far as temperament they are both pretty curious. One tends to be more active than the other, both can be a handful if they aren’t properly fenced in. Do you have any experience with sulcatas? At the moment they each have a large dog house that I have heat lamps in to keep them warm at nite in the fall and winter months...

K8E K

5 Year Member
N. CA
I understand. Do you have the option of temporarily rehoming them? In any case, thanks for checking on potential homes- you clearly care a lot about them.

I have full fencing (not chain link- solid so there's no visibility beyond) and in areas additional brick at the base. I'm tortoise-scaped except a stubborn patch of bulbs that we are constantly digging out (tulips, mostly) that is blocked off in the spring just in case another pops up that we missed. Years ago we blocked out an area for a larger heated hide than what we currently are using. It is not functional yet because we intended to size it for need of a specific tortoise- so if it seemed like a good fit for everyone I would want a few weeks to build that out suitably first. We use kane heat mats (we mount on the roof of hides) as well as oil heaters (though we haven't yet had to break out the oil heaters to maintain temp anywhere as we haven't had a large enough resident). I do have experience with sulcatas, but I haven't owned one- I've gone back and forth over the years on pros and cons, but enjoy the species. Mainly, we only have ideal space for one large resident, with grazing/sunning/shade zones. I don't want to risk different species around each other or any potential bullying with same species in the same area- so I've just been considering carefully. :) I'm happy to keep discussing and am interested, and I appreciate your care.

CowboynCharlie

Long Beach
I don’t have an option to temporarily rehome, I planned on just finding permanent homes if I could while I have some time to do so. Am torn about giving them up but I honestly don’t have the time or means to give them the best care that they deserve and my situation is a little complicated at this time. It would probably be best to rehome in a few mos when it gets warmer but I’m flexible. You can email me @[email protected] and I can give u my no.

JT Tortoise

El Monte
Are they still available? Im very interested in adopting them. I currently keep 12 baby sulcatas and 2 adults, and 2 russian tortoises as well so im aware of the care needed for them. My bigger guys get assorted veggies everyday depending on what the grocery store throwing out that day. They also get bermuda and alfapha hay, and access to water at all times. Im also in the southern california so they should have a easier time adapting to the similar climate. I have a half acre property with an enclosed area in the back, and another in my front yard. Please get back to me

CowboynCharlie

Long Beach
I understand. Do you have the option of temporarily rehoming them? In any case, thanks for checking on potential homes- you clearly care a lot about them.

I have full fencing (not chain link- solid so there's no visibility beyond) and in areas additional brick at the base. I'm tortoise-scaped except a stubborn patch of bulbs that we are constantly digging out (tulips, mostly) that is blocked off in the spring just in case another pops up that we missed. Years ago we blocked out an area for a larger heated hide than what we currently are using. It is not functional yet because we intended to size it for need of a specific tortoise- so if it seemed like a good fit for everyone I would want a few weeks to build that out suitably first. We use kane heat mats (we mount on the roof of hides) as well as oil heaters (though we haven't yet had to break out the oil heaters to maintain temp anywhere as we haven't had a large enough resident). I do have experience with sulcatas, but I haven't owned one- I've gone back and forth over the years on pros and cons, but enjoy the species. Mainly, we only have ideal space for one large resident, with grazing/sunning/shade zones. I don't want to risk different species around each other or any potential bullying with same species in the same area- so I've just been considering carefully. :) I'm happy to keep discussing and am interested, and I appreciate your care.
Somehow lost your email and phone no info, can u resend?

CowboynCharlie

Long Beach
Are they still available? Im very interested in adopting them. I currently keep 12 baby sulcatas and 2 adults, and 2 russian tortoises as well so im aware of the care needed for them. My bigger guys get assorted veggies everyday depending on what the grocery store throwing out that day. They also get bermuda and alfapha hay, and access to water at all times. Im also in the southern california so they should have a easier time adapting to the similar climate. I have a half acre property with an enclosed area in the back, and another in my front yard. Please get back to me
You can email me at [email protected]