Rehoming Tortoise- Located in Maryland

JuliR03

Location (City and/or State)
Rockville
I couple of months ago I had found a tortoise on the side of the road almost getting run over. The tortoise is not native to Maryland or the east coast so I must have been a released pet. I figured she is either a 1.5 - 2 year old Greek or Sulcata Tortoise. She wasn't taken care of well, her nails are very long. I have had her for a couple of months, buying everything I needed. Built a 2 by 3 enclosure, bought lighting, substrate, three different tortoise diets, and she doesn't seem to be happy. She is always trying to escape her enclosure which is about 18 inches high. She claws up the walls trying to get out which can be very load sometimes. I want her to be able to live a long happy life and I just can't see her being her best self here. It gets really cold in Maryland so I'm hoping to find someone willing to take her to a warmer state.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I couple of months ago I had found a tortoise on the side of the road almost getting run over. The tortoise is not native to Maryland or the east coast so I must have been a released pet. I figured she is either a 1.5 - 2 year old Greek or Sulcata Tortoise. She wasn't taken care of well, her nails are very long. I have had her for a couple of months, buying everything I needed. Built a 2 by 3 enclosure, bought lighting, substrate, three different tortoise diets, and she doesn't seem to be happy. She is always trying to escape her enclosure which is about 18 inches high. She claws up the walls trying to get out which can be very load sometimes. I want her to be able to live a long happy life and I just can't see her being her best self here. It gets really cold in Maryland so I'm hoping to find someone willing to take her to a warmer state.
Do you have pictures? Are you sure it's not a wild box turtle? They are native to Maryland.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is it the front nails which are very long? If so, you may have an aquatic turtle rather than a Box Turtle or a tortoise. The males of several species of aquatic turtles get very long front nails which are used in courtship.

Pictures would be a great help in identifying the turtle or tortoise you found. Are you able to post a couple photos?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Welcome. Definitely upload some pictures of the tortoise you found. I’m sure we all can quickly ID the species.

JuliR03

Rockville
Do you have pictures? Are you sure it's not a wild box turtle? They are native to Maryland.
Looks nothing like a box turtle. here are some pictures.
Here are some photos. - when I found her

JuliR03

Rockville

Yes I just put some pictures in the thread. She looks noting like a box turtle.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes I just put some pictures in the thread. She looks noting like a box turtle.
It looks like a Russian Tortoise to me. Do the front feet have just 4 nails? That is one characteristic which is most often seen in Russian Tortoises.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for rescuing this Russian, it is definitely a pet someone dumped. It's awesome you are taking your time to find it a new home, just wanted to say thank you!

JuliR03

Rockville
Thank you for rescuing this Russian, it is definitely a pet someone dumped. It's awesome you are taking your time to find it a new home, just wanted to say thank you!
I appreciate that so much. I've been trying my best to take care of her in the meantime but I want her to find a good forever home.

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
I appreciate that so much. I've been trying my best to take care of her in the meantime but I want her to find a good forever home.
I can provide a good forever home if your still in need. We live in NC on 2 acres and getting another home with a greenhouse / tortoise enclosure built so the torts have a winter space with tons of natural light. A few years ago I never thought I would be this into tortoises when my wife decided she wanted one now it's a passion. Plenty of space and fresh grown greens year round let me know if your interested.

Daniel molina

Tx
Can you send me some pictures of the tortoise at 1 (214) 462-2988 and yea I’ll adopt it I don’t care what type of species it is. Thanks

alipman

Brooklyn
Hi there! are you still looking to rehome this tortoise?