Rehoming Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I've been debating on this topic for some time now, and I've finally decided that it's time.

I've owned my Russian tortoise for 4 years now. I bought him from a pet shop before I joined the forum, brought him out of a red leaf lettuce diet, and he's been living outside for 3 years now. I've never allowed him to go into hibernation in that time. He's healthy; active, eats, gets a soaking 2-3 times a week, and I've never had any medical problems with him. I took pictures of him as you'll see. I started a thread on something that I thought might be a problem, but it was confirmed that it may be healing shell. I took a picture so you can see.

I am obviously rehoming him for free. I just can't afford to pay overnight shipping myself. If anyone would like to pickup, I'll include his 3x3 two story terrarium that I keep him in during the winter.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
What area are you from? I currently have two russians, a 1 year old that I currently have inside for awhile longer before I move him outside, and a Russian that is around 12-15 who currently lIves outside in a nice sized tort pen that has a lockING door and is boxed all the way around with the metal fencing to keep birds and other predators away. Currently my Russain lives with a Argentina tegu outside and they are best friends and bask in the sun together but the tegu is on his way to a new home so I plan to use it as a strictly russian house where they can live happy. I also am very curious to see your tort home, a two story home sounds really cool!

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Thanks! That is about 78 miles from me, I could make that drive with my friend with his truck to prevent the tortoise some stress from being shipped. I also have a Redfoot which i keep separate in a more tropical environment, and i have also owned owned a box turtle for 18 years since i was much younger and learning.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This Russian definitely needs to be by himself. He, as Russians tend to be, is aggressive and will bite at another tortoise, no matter it's size. He's currently housed outside in a 12x5 area. The terrarium is only for bedtime, otherwise it's WAY too small for any adult Russian. I use it for the winter only when it's not raining or too cold. I'm not far from Fremont at all. It's just over an hour away.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
now many people have constructed a burrow for the tort that is actually underground and mimics what the tortoise would carve out in the wild?
anyone let their tortoise carve his own burrow but maybe limit how deep and long it is?
I'm not sure why it's quoting a post from Josh.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Email me with pictures of the area that would be provided, and some Information about yourself and how long you've cared for reptiles/turtles or tortoise. I'm not in a hurry to adopt him out, so I'm definitely going to make sure it's a good home.

[email protected]

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
My Russian tortoise is still up for grabs! Email me for pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.