Rehoming One Of My Horsefield Tortoises :(

ParisBloom

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hiya everyone.

So I have taken the very hard decision to rehome one of my horsefield tortoises. Naturally, I am deeply sad about the prospect, but the bottom line is ensuring both my torts enjoy the best life torts can have. For people that would like to read more about how I came to be their mum and why I need to rehome one, please see the intro forum.

I have a few questions, all advice much appreciated.

1 - they have both become really receptive to me in the short time I have had them. They started off as very nervous torts but now love being soaked, handled and so on. I am wondering how it would effect him going to a new owner, do torts usually get used to other people quite quickly?

2 - I have looked into a UK based rehoming charity and am confident I will find the perfect new owner via them. I am not sure if forum etiquette allows external links?

If so I would like to know if anyone else here has had exp with the rehoming charity.

3 - is there a "best time" "least stressful time" in a torts yearly cycle for him to be rehomed? My rehoming is not urgent, whilst it is summer time, as I have expanded their outdoor enclosure to allow extra space since I added the "segregation wall". It is the indoor wintertime / lack of indoor space that is the issue.

4 - not really a question, but I feel so bad for rehoming one, as they have been together for six years. I know I am doing the right thing here, but I still feel like I am not. I have no idea how I will decide which one to offer, maybe I should let the adoptive parent(s) pick. As I love them both equally, they have quite different personalities/traits.

5 - can anyone think of anything else I should factor into the equation?

Thank you so much & sorry for such a long post, but it is a deserving subject. Paris & Torts.