Rehabbed Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi all...Just wanted to brag a bit!!
My friend who is also a wildlife rescuer & rehabber, asked me to take 7 box turtles that all needed vet care. She was struggling while going thru a divorce. I live 5 miles from the vet and she lives about 40 miles, so it is much easier for me to get them to him regularly. Anyway, 4 of them have healed enough so they can be released out into the sanctuary. One had been hit by a car, one chewed by a big dog, one had his back leg & butt sheared by a lawnmower, and the other had a prolapse. They are all eating like pigs.

The other 3 will eventually get well, but have a long way to go. One (named Timex...takes a licking & keeps on ticking) that is about 3" long, was chewed badly by a dog. Chunks of his shell is totally missing. He isn't eating very well yet. Another, about 5", who was chewed by a dog, had 4 really deep holes in his shell. They were infected when I got him but are now healing. He will be ready to release to the sanctuary in the spring probably. The other is about 3 1/2" and very shy. His shell was chewed around the edges til the dog got to flesh. He isn't eating well yet. I will take the 2 little ones in to the vet on Mon to have him help me tube feed them
The box turtles have such neat personalities. It doesn't take long to make friends with them.
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Good for you, Patsy! Nothing more satisfying than getting a sick turtle well enough to go out and be a turtle again!

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Boxies are the best, and have wonderful personalities. You will be rewardard 100 times over for your efforts. Good luck. What a good person you are.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks. I so love my critters!! And I get great satisfaction in rehabbing and foster caring the wild children...turtles, tortoises, & raccoons.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.