Rehab not eating still, advice?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
She is a 12" female River Cooter, treating for severe shell rot and septicemia. She's been on Enro for just over a week (IM injections EOD). She's doing great, very active, feisty, escaped her first hospital tub a few times....LOL, being a typical naughty Cooter.

I still can't get her to eat. Initially I figured stress and illness, so I just kept offering her fresh greens, turtle pellets and red worms every morning. I've has her two weeks now and she is still not eating.

Day tank:
1" warm (78-85°) water with large flat stone to bask on under 65w incandescent at 95°

Night:
Large plastic pool, dry mulch substrate, ambient 75°

Any suggestions? This setup has worked well in the past for shell rot victims. I'm open to inexpensive suggestions. [PURPLE HEART][TURTLE]

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You might want to try a Beatle or two
They will swim more and maybe the movement will get the turtle two eat

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Try some live fish . You do have it in water ? I know thats a dumb question but doesn't hurt to ask .

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
No such thing as dumb questions.
Her hospital tank has 1" water.

Fish are not a bad idea. What kind would you suggest? There is a Petco in my town.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Are you sure one inch of water is enough? My semi-aquatic turtles require more water in the tank. They will not eat if the food isn't in the water. Don't know much about Cooters, but if they are like other semi-aquatic turtles, you may want to add another 8-10 inches of water so he can actually swim in it, and a floating platform to bask.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm treating her for severe shell rot. Generally shell rot cases are completely dry docked. I've used this technique in the past as sort of a happy medium for a water species.

She's recovering nicely, so I've slowly been increasing her water level.

I wonder if I temporarily offered her more water, she'd eat?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Rehab not eating still, advice?

Sulcata_Sandy said:
No such thing as dumb questions.
Her hospital tank has 1" water.

Fish are not a bad idea. What kind would you suggest? There is a Petco in my town.

I like to feed guppies . It would be okay to feed in the deeper water. Then dry her off after eating.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Try frozen cooked salad shrimp, you can get it in 4oz bags for about a dollar. after thawing out, they have a very strong fishy smell that most water (and box) turtles can't resist. and if they are not eaten they can be removed from enclosure water with ease before fouling everything up.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
EXCELLENT IDEAS EVERYONE!!!!! I love this. See, like I say....always something new to learn. I've been a veterinary technician almost 25 years, had turtles, now have tortoises, tons of reptile experience...and I'm always finding new techniques. THIS is why this work is so much fun.

I love you all!!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I treat shell rot on a water turtle I do a total dry dock for 23 hours a day, with one hour in warm, slightly salted water for feeding. Then dry it off, medicate and treat and put back into dry dock.

Mary at the Turtle Puddle is a very, very experienced turtle-keeper, and she doesn't recommend a 23 hour dry dock. She says its hard on their innards. However, I've been doing it this way for 15 or 20 years and haven't lost one to 'cooked innards' yet.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I used to do dry dock, but in my experience, it stresses them too much. So I offer shallow water and basking rock/light during the day, and dry dock over night.
Has worked well. :)

I find it fascinating and refreshing that we all have varying techniques that, in the end, still produce desired results.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would try fresh shrimp. If A water turtle of any kind turns down shrimp then you might have a more serious issue.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just so you know, water turtles only eat in water. So, like someone mentioned, give one hour in deeper water to feed, then dry her off well and put on dry dock. That should help with recovery.