Regarding major stores

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I know I posted recently about where to get weeds and flowers and such and I know there's websites to order from online but I really just want to go to a store or anywhere locally to where I live. I want to avoid ordering online if I can, I live in pinellas county of Florida (Clearwater to be more specific) so if anyone knows of any stores or places I can go to locally that I can go to rather than have to wait and pay more for faster shipping.

Even a store in my area that sells seeds that are safe for me to plant would be fine too. Lowes, Home Depot, walmart garden center? Are these seeds that they sell in the packets safe? Or any other store that anyone knows of? anything local rather than having to order online would be so much easier for me, that way my tortoise can eat better sooner. As of now I'm limited to what I can give him, he's really picky about the grassland tortise food and I'm not to comfortable feeding him that anyways even with a little romaine lettuce and cucumber, I'd rather be able to grow my own plants or buy them already ready to feed him that way he can get on track with eating as if he were in the wild.

Thanks so much for helping ! Arnold and I really appreciate it!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Have you looked up your local farmers market schedule?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I've tried but haven't really found anything which I thought was strange, perhaps I typed it different on google,
I'm going to do so again right now!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Seeds from home improvement stores are fine to use. I think some people buy online because you get better deals (ie. 5000 seeds for $4) or because they're mixes specifically made for tortoise consumption. Know that there is no instant gratification when you grow from seeds. It takes about two months for many plants to be well established. Grocery store foods really aren't so evil. There are way more choices than romaine and cucumber that they offer. Endive, escarole, radicchio, mustard, turnip, arugula, etc. are still great choices while you wait for better gardening weather.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I found the Clearwater market which runs through October through May on Saturdays! I know I'll definitely be going!!

Thanks so much Pfara! I definitely will be looking for these items and hopefully Arnold won't be so picky!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Look up Asian stores, specifically Chinese, Japanese or Korean, not Indian or Pakistani. They carry an amazing variety of goodies even in th smaller ones and the price on produce is usually very decent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can try to learn your local weeds and scrounge them yourself from areas that you know are safe and chemical free. Also look for neighbors with mulberry trees, hibiscus plants and other good stuff. If you find some good plants like spineless opuntia, lavatera, or hibiscus, you can also take cuttings and start them in pots and grow your own.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Gather seeds as well! This won't help you for this year but can help you the following ones. :)

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you everyone for helping with this! Arnold is very new so I just want to make sure I take good care of him. Since I've gotten him and spend time with him the more things I notice that look like the shop I got him from didn't take proper care of him. He was housed with a much larger tortoise and looked like he was only fed romaine lettuce with some calcium powder sprinkled. I've noticed his beak looks damaged on the right side when compared to the left and just the way his shell seems to be growing. I am just very worried and want to make the food changes as fast as possible so I can correct the mistakes the shop have made. He has basking light and UVB light for 12 hrs a day but I always let him walk around and spend time with me which he seems to really love being near me. I have a digital thermometer so I'm making sure the lighting area is the right temp for him. He seems to like to burrow in the mulch and option is "napping". I'm going to pick up a tortoise calcium block made with cactus and vegetables to try to help correct his beak growth.

I'll post pictures so that you guys can help me in the right direction with correcting the mistakes that were made at the shop, it would be greatly appreciated!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393365316.958010.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393365339.623992.jpg
In the close up of his face it looks as though his beak is growing too much over the bottom part of his jaw. Also on the right side it looks different compared to the left side.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393365576.896293.jpg

This is the back of his shell, looks like it's curving on the very back by his tail. Doesn't look normal to me, what can I do to help correct this? I give him water soaks twice weekly and sprinkle repashy vitamin/calcium powder twice weekly as well on his food. I mist him with water a few times a day so he doesn't get too warm or dehydrated. As of now he is indoors but once i am able to he will be outdoors but will have the option to come inside if he wants to.

Last edited by a moderator: