Refrigerator hibernation

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You're right...tub not a good idea. How about really big cardboard boxes? I had Chug in one for 2 weeks one Spring.

Even your predicted temps after the rain aren't ideal. Kind of chilly.

But I'm feeling like it's time to get them out of there. How about checking each one. Are they moving around a lot? Is there any evidence that they have peed? Or are they still really zonked?

It's hard to know what to do. There's no formula to follow. If either has peed, he needs to come out quickly and soak to rehydrate. Try to find a couple of big boxes. That would really help.

And yes, I am still healthy, and not stir crazy, yet.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
You're right...tub not a good idea. How about really big cardboard boxes? I had Chug in one for 2 weeks one Spring.

But I'm feeling like it's time to get them out of there. How about checking each one. Are they moving around a lot? Is there any evidence that they have peed? Or are they still really zonked?

It's hard to know what to do. There's no formula to follow. If either has peed, he needs to come out quickly and soak to rehydrate. Try to find a couple of big boxes. That would really help.

ok, I’ll do that. nervous. Im sure I can make something work like boxes or if all fails I can block off dining room. One is a climber and bulldozes . I haven’t noticed any movement or pee but not much lighjt in fridge and I’ve been scared to wake them even though I know it’s not truly waking them to check. I’ll keep you posted . thank you!

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles

they are alive! I finally went to check and have one in the sink in room temp water. Now I’m not sure how long to soak them. The other seemed to be more zonked so he’s in his box in the basement still. So relieved. I hope room temp water isn’t too warm. Thanks Karen for being my guidance counselor, therapist and all around help,
Tanya

Attachments

• 9F35FC99-7E4D-4C6E-9A33-B6D878DACF04.jpeg
    9F35FC99-7E4D-4C6E-9A33-B6D878DACF04.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
they are alive! I finally went to check and have one in the sink in room temp water. Now I’m not sure how long to soak them. The other seemed to be more zonked so he’s in his box in the basement still. So relieved. I hope room temp water isn’t too warm. Thanks Karen for being my guidance counselor, therapist and all around help,
Tanya
I am so happy for you! You did it!

Room temp is fine for a day or two, then increase the temp as they get more active. 95-100deg is great then.
Leave them soaking for as long as you have time for. They really need to replenish their water reserves.

It's been my pleasure seeing you through this. Maybe some day you'll pay it forward. Blessings to you and yours.

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I am so happy for you! You did it!

Room temp is fine for a day or two, then increase the temp as they get more active. 95-100deg is great then.
Leave them soaking for as long as you have time for. They really need to replenish their water reserves.

It's been my pleasure seeing you through this. Maybe some day you'll pay it forward. Blessings to you and yours.

I will pay it forward however I can!
They both basked in the sun yesterday. Free walked around, pee’d and ate a hibiscus flower and some dandelion leaves. Dribble basked and took a few steps to shade but no food. I’ve been soaking them and today is cloudy maybe rain so it’ll be more challenging when they’re trying to escape boxes. Thank you again!

Attachments

• C19CED99-3B9F-4DF8-8CB6-217BDCBCB029.jpeg
    C19CED99-3B9F-4DF8-8CB6-217BDCBCB029.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
  • A187721F-A92A-46D4-A7C3-ADC6C22E97BD.jpeg
    A187721F-A92A-46D4-A7C3-ADC6C22E97BD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3