Redfoots & Yellowfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I just read the book by Amanda Ebenhack, Redfoots & Yellowfoots and found it to be very informative with good pictures and a great list of references for more reading. The reason I ordered it is because I got a 5 year old cb Yellowfoot about a month ago and I haven't had a Yellowfoot for over 35 years, back then there was little or no info on them. I think it was 1972 that I gave my girl friend (we got married in1975) a Redfoot tortoise and she named him Schroder. Well with no real source to get information neither tortoise lived past 18 months, the Yellowfoot lived longer than the Redfoot (the biggest unknown factor was the danger of internal parasites) all we knew it was important to remove the ticks.It was all a learning experience back then just as it is today. We still have Schroder and the Yellowfoot.(pics included) This book was published last year so it has some of the most up to date information.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Wow, those are interesting photos. I had a yellowfoot tortoise shell that was also quite large (nowhere near that size though) but I gave it to a friend years ago. I also had a pair of red foot shells from Bolivia that I had preserved and they too were pretty big for that species. Like the yellow foot carapace, they went to the same guy in Ohio for his collection.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That yellowfoot shell is really gorgeous. How did you perserve it? Thanks for sharing!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
allegraf said:
That yellowfoot shell is really gorgeous. How did you perserve it? Thanks for sharing!

After it was cleaned and dried,lots and lots of coats of Elmers glue applied with a 2 inch brush inside and out. Now I use scented paste wax about twice a year.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I prepared mine by first drying the inside with salt for a few days after the very gross task of removing the innards. Then after removing the salt and then vacuuming the shell really well, I applied several coats of clear polyurethane sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.